The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

A*AA but rejected - what can I do from now?

Hi, I've applied for Mchem with A*AA in line with the minimum requirement. I might get the actual grades improved to A*A*A. Plz advise what I can do. I'm home student.
Reply 1
Take a gap year and reapply, if you've already submitted UCAS then theres nothing you can do if you don't get in.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I've applied for Mchem with A*AA in line with the minimum requirement. I might get the actual grades improved to A*A*A. Plz advise what I can do. I'm home student.

Consider other universities apart from Durham, or apply again in a gap year
My question is why? Durham chem has relatively higher intake rates. If i got better grades, will it be worth calling on the result day to negotiate?
It is unlikely they will have anything in clearing.

Sadly they will have had many highly qualified applicants and whilst you meet their minimum requirements they felt they had stronger applicants. I’m sorry I know it’s tough.

As other have said you have two choices. Either go to one of the other universities you applied to or reapply next year but remember even if you reapply with grades exceeding the minimum you may not get an offer.
My question is why? Durham chem has relatively higher intake rates. If i got better grades, will it be worth calling on the result day to negotiate?

This year seems particularly tough, with a backlog of students applying from COVID and universities increasing their international intake to keep up with rising costs. A lot of able UK based students will be rejected from the top unis I'm afraid.

I think it's worth happing a plan on results day, but Durham is unlikely to be in clearing. However I don't see any harm in calling them on the day just in case. But plan to go to other good universities. Best thing you can do now is get the best grades possible.
Reply 7
Durham or any other top University don't offer clearing - if you're rejected you're rejected.
If you get 2A*+ then definitely reapply - you might even get better than Durham. You should also have another look at your personal statement as this is probably one of the reasons you got rejected.

Quick Reply

Latest