The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

en-suite colleges

there are colleges that have both en-suite and shared rooms.

if i 100% want an en-suite should i avoid these colleges?

also for university college (castle), if there are 246 no. of 1st year UG rooms, why does it say there are 29 en-suite 1st year UG rooms and 29 shared 1st year UG rooms? what about the rest?

thanks in advance!
Original post by Anonymous

also for university college (castle), if there are 246 no. of 1st year UG rooms, why does it say there are 29 en-suite 1st year UG rooms and 29 shared 1st year UG rooms? what about the rest?

thanks in advance!

I could be wrong but in that case it would seem that the shared refers to a bedroom that two people occupy. The remaining rooms would be single occupancy rooms but with shared bathrooms. In my college we have very few ensuite rooms (even less than university college) available for first years and these are only allocated to students with medical needs I believe, but it will vary between colleges.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

thanks in advance!

All depends on A) likelihood of getting en-suites and B) how many they’re shared between. For instance, Josephine Butler is 100% en-suite, whereas John Snow and South (to my knowledge) are majority en-suite, with their accommodation that does have shared bathrooms really being 2 people to a bathroom. General rule is that the newer hill colleges are more likely to have en-suite rooms that most of the Bailey.

Using your example of Castle, the remaining undergraduate rooms that don’t have en-suite or aren’t shared rooms will be single occupancy with shared bathroom (it tends towards 10 to a bathroom, I believe, there) :smile:
I could be wrong but in that case it would seem that the shared refers to a bedroom that two people occupy. The remaining rooms would be single occupancy rooms but with shared bathrooms. In my college we have very few ensuite rooms (even less than university college) available for first years and these are only allocated to students with medical needs I believe, but it will vary between colleges.

oh thanks. i’m going to applying to every college that has no shared room.

is the allocation completely random though? i suppose some students would prefer the shared bathroom to reduce costs.
All depends on A) likelihood of getting en-suites and B) how many they’re shared between. For instance, Josephine Butler is 100% en-suite, whereas John Snow and South (to my knowledge) are majority en-suite, with their accommodation that does have shared bathrooms really being 2 people to a bathroom. General rule is that the newer hill colleges are more likely to have en-suite rooms that most of the Bailey.

Using your example of Castle, the remaining undergraduate rooms that don’t have en-suite or aren’t shared rooms will be single occupancy with shared bathroom (it tends towards 10 to a bathroom, I believe, there) :smile:

thanks!

do you know how likely would it be for me to get josephine butler, john snow or south if they were my top 3? they are also the closest to dbs, where i would be going to
thanks!

do you know how likely would it be for me to get josephine butler, john snow or south if they were my top 3? they are also the closest to dbs, where i would be going to

I can’t remember where I saw it, but I remember reading a table of all the colleges and how likely you were to get them if you put them as your first choice:
South - 96%
John Snow - 94%
Josephine Butler - 83%

So, it’s very likely you’ll get your first choice and, if not, you’ll definitely get one of the three :smile:

thanks in advance!

Hiya

That's right, you'd have the highest chance of getting an ensuite where there are more ensuites than shared rooms. This includes the self-catered hill colleges like South, Butler and John Snow. With South and John Snow, you'd be sharing the bathroom with one other person max (if you're in a townhouse). As for the Castle question, the rest of the rooms are single but with a bathroom shared between 5-8 people.

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest