The Student Room Group

Maths

Hey, (sorry I feel like I'm asking so many questions!)
But I've been trying to figure out how to solve this question which is non-calculator for ages. Does anyone know how to? I could do it with a calculator but I have no idea how to without one.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hmm... In theory, if you know how to find all of them using a calculator, then the method should be the same without, barring arithmetic errors.
Which one of B, C, D, E did you struggle with? And mind if you share your method when you use a calculator?
Original post by convivialkiwi
Hey, (sorry I feel like I'm asking so many questions!)
But I've been trying to figure out how to solve this question which is non-calculator for ages. Does anyone know how to? I could do it with a calculator but I have no idea how to without one.

Write down what you are doing - you should be able to simplify so you don't need a calculator.
Original post by tonyiptony
Hmm... In theory, if you know how to find all of them using a calculator, then the method should be the same without, barring arithmetic errors.
Which one of B, C, D, E did you struggle with? And mind if you share your method when you use a calculator?

If I was using a calculator I would just type in 5/3 x the prime factors of A. But I can't do 5/3 x 50^20 without a calculator, is there a specific way to go about doing that?
If I was using a calculator I would just type in 5/3 x the prime factors of A. But I can't do 5/3 x 50^20 without a calculator, is there a specific way to go about doing that?

Leave it as powers - you want an answer in factors.

Where does 50 ^20 come from?

Multiplying by 5 will add 1 to the exponent in the power of 5. Similarly dividing by 3 will subtract 1.

At each stage you can rephrase what you're doing as multiplying/dividing by powers of primes. (E.g. taking 10% of a number is the same as dividing by 10, which is the same as dividing by (2x5)).
Original post by Muttley79
Leave it as powers - you want an answer in factors.

Where does 50 ^20 come from?

Sorry typo- I meant 5^20
Original post by DFranklin
Multiplying by 5 will add 1 to the exponent in the power of 5. Similarly dividing by 3 will subtract 1.

At each stage you can rephrase what you're doing as multiplying/dividing by powers of primes. (E.g. taking 10% of a number is the same as dividing by 10, which is the same as dividing by (2x5)).

Oh okay thank you, this helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest