The Student Room Group

English A-Level NEA Support

For my NEA, I need one post-1900 text and one pre. I have left it incredibly late (deadline is 28th April) due to personal reasons and am only just choosing my books.

For post-1900, I was planning on doing the hunger games. Some of my potential themes include:

- female heroes
- dystopia
- teenage rebellion/impact of rebellion
- a mix of something along those lines.

However, I need a pre-1900 book that is relatively easy to understand as I haven't got long to read and analyse it.

Can anyone help me?
Original post by evergreen8
For my NEA, I need one post-1900 text and one pre. I have left it incredibly late (deadline is 28th April) due to personal reasons and am only just choosing my books.

For post-1900, I was planning on doing the hunger games. Some of my potential themes include:

- female heroes
- dystopia
- teenage rebellion/impact of rebellion
- a mix of something along those lines.

However, I need a pre-1900 book that is relatively easy to understand as I haven't got long to read and analyse it.

Can anyone help me?

hey, so ive just finished my eng lit a level coursework, and i also had to chose and compare 2 books. both of my books were dystopia novels, and i chose the handmaids tale and Fahrenheit 451. heres a list of some dystopian texts that you might find useful. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dystopian_literature id also recommend the war of the worlds by h g wells, which is pre1900, and is really good in my opinion. for war of the worlds itd link nicely to hunger games through the idea of a future where anything could happen, and they have to sort of fight for the outcome they want, as in war of the worlds they have to essentially live through an alien invasion. for female heroes, a lot of classic writers such as jane austen wrote several novels with females as the main characters, so that might be worth having a look at. and for understanding and analysing the book quickly id recommend looking at youtube summaries and reading chapter summaries from websites such as sparknotes, because this is what i did and it really helped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending