The Student Room Group

Will A Level grades hold me back from becoming a Litigator

I recently got my A Level grades and they weren’t good at all mostly because i was struggling a lot with my mental health. My grades were CCD, however, I can get into the University of London LLB program. The problem is that i’m scared these grades are gonna hold me back in the future from getting a job.

Can someone please give me some advice, i’m really stressed out.
Hey there, I think there are a universities that will take you in, regardless of your a levels. I'm not sure what subjects you did, but maybe have a look on the internet, or even UCAS, they offer great alternatives. Also remember that grades are not everything, remember C's get degrees. When looking into these alternative career pathways or courses, maybe email them, or in the application mention that you struggled due to your mental health, I'm pretty sure they will take this into account and will give you some leeway.
I'm just curious of how you got your A-level grades, did you sit them last year? Or are these you predicted grades for this years upcoming A-levels?
Let me know which of this is your current situation, obviously I'm not a professional, but having many friends who have not got their desired grades, I can tell you some of the pathways that they took.

Please also look after your mental health, Its very important for you to take care of that, cause if your mind is not at peace then your body will not be able to withstand hardships, so take some time away and do things you enjoy, you can message on this forum if you need someone to talk to.

Remember that after these hardships, you will be happy at the end!

Hopefully this helps, hope you have a good day (:
Reply 2
(Original post by Doctororeolover)Hey there, I think there are a universities that will take you in, regardless of your a levels. I'm not sure what subjects you did, but maybe have a look on the internet, or even UCAS, they offer great alternatives. Also remember that grades are not everything, remember C's get degrees. When looking into these alternative career pathways or courses, maybe email them, or in the application mention that you struggled due to your mental health, I'm pretty sure they will take this into account and will give you some leeway.
I'm just curious of how you got your A-level grades, did you sit them last year? Or are these you predicted grades for this years upcoming A-levels?
Let me know which of this is your current situation, obviously I'm not a professional, but having many friends who have not got their desired grades, I can tell you some of the pathways that they took.

Please also look after your mental health, Its very important for you to take care of that, cause if your mind is not at peace then your body will not be able to withstand hardships, so take some time away and do things you enjoy, you can message on this forum if you need someone to talk to.

Original post by Doctororeolover
Hey there, I think there are a universities that will take you in, regardless of your a levels. I'm not sure what subjects you did, but maybe have a look on the internet, or even UCAS, they offer great alternatives. Also remember that grades are not everything, remember C's get degrees. When looking into these alternative career pathways or courses, maybe email them, or in the application mention that you struggled due to your mental health, I'm pretty sure they will take this into account and will give you some leeway.

Hi, these are the grades I got for the exams I gave last year in October!

Also, thank you for taking the time to reply, I've been doing better mentally too :smile:
Original post by yhhrom
I recently got my A Level grades and they weren’t good at all mostly because i was struggling a lot with my mental health. My grades were CCD, however, I can get into the University of London LLB program. The problem is that i’m scared these grades are gonna hold me back in the future from getting a job.

Can someone please give me some advice, i’m really stressed out.

Hello,

I was in a similar position to you and felt so anxious about going to university. However, I've never been asked for my A level grades! Especially after getting my degree. And now I'm doing a master's! I just write that I have three A levels in French, Spanish and Psychology on my application. If someone did ask, it would just show my progress and hard work :smile:

While I appreciate my experience may not apply to law, I would encourage you to stay open-minded when going to the university - get involved in extracurricular activities that showcase your determination and passion! I found the university study environment so much better than school and helped me thrive. But it's definitely ok to ask for help along the way!

Always remember to be kind to yourself and that many successful individuals have faced academic challenges along the way :smile:

I wish you all the best and good luck!

Thanks,
Sam (she/her)
MSc Psychology

Quick Reply

Latest