The Student Room Group

AQA or OCR A for a level chemistry

Hello, so I'm self-studying A-level chemistry, and Im debating between AQA and OCR A, I know both have good materials to revise but I am wondering which exam board everyone prefers during exams/past papers, I have heard most students prefer OCR A than AQA but I don't know what to pick, if you can give me any advice I would appreciate it, thank you.
(Original post by Ikra0t)Hello, so I'm self-studying A-level chemistry, and Im debating between AQA and OCR A, I know both have good materials to revise but I am wondering which exam board everyone prefers during exams/past papers, I have heard most students prefer OCR A than AQA but I don't know what to pick, if you can give me any advice I would appreciate it, thank you.

Hey, I'm in year 13 and I do OCR for chemistry - obviously chemistry is a challenging subject no matter the exam board and I don't personally take AQA but for OCR the structure of the exams is quite literally repeated every year, like the way they word the questions is the exact same they only change numbers here and there and the molecules for a lot of the questions which is good because it means that with practice you could be on a really high grade. I suggest you look at the specification for both exam boards and how the exams are like but in general I would definitely recommend OCR A.
Reply 2
Original post by Aks202929
(Original post by Ikra0t)Hello, so I'm self-studying A-level chemistry, and Im debating between AQA and OCR A, I know both have good materials to revise but I am wondering which exam board everyone prefers during exams/past papers, I have heard most students prefer OCR A than AQA but I don't know what to pick, if you can give me any advice I would appreciate it, thank you.

Hey, I'm in year 13 and I do OCR for chemistry - obviously chemistry is a challenging subject no matter the exam board and I don't personally take AQA but for OCR the structure of the exams is quite literally repeated every year, like the way they word the questions is the exact same they only change numbers here and there and the molecules for a lot of the questions which is good because it means that with practice you could be on a really high grade. I suggest you look at the specification for both exam boards and how the exams are like but in general I would definitely recommend OCR A.

Thank you so much! I really needed this reply, I appreciate it so much, and that's really nice that the exam structure is quite similar, I checked both past papers and I prefer OCR A. I decided to pick OCR A thanks to your advice. Also, another question if you don't mind, for revision, could you recommend me some revision tips? if so I would appreciate it! :smile:
Reply 3

Also, I went on the OCR A website to download the spec and there are two versions, AS and A level, should I only print the AS for this year and for next year I should print the A level Spec. my last question would be when should I take the practical test for chemistry? would you do the test in the first or second year? so sorry for asking so many questions, i just have a lot and i don't know who to ask. but thank you :smile:
Original post by Ikra0t
Thank you so much! I really needed this reply, I appreciate it so much, and that's really nice that the exam structure is quite similar, I checked both past papers and I prefer OCR A. I decided to pick OCR A thanks to your advice. Also, another question if you don't mind, for revision, could you recommend me some revision tips? if so I would appreciate it! :smile:

No problem at all! Glad I was able to help. In terms of revision I have a few tips:

To learn content you have the main source of revision which is the OCR textbook and I'd say it's pretty good in explaining the topics I used it myself last year and I wouldn't say it's bad. However I do feel like sometimes it does waffle a bit and contains stuff you don't necessarily need to learn so I'd also recommend checking out the cgp student textbook I'll leave the link below - this book will save you so much time it literally summarises everything really well and makes everything so simple and easy to understand. Last point is , if you don't feel like reading a textbook and making notes AlleryChemistry Revision videos are soo useful on youtube he goes thru a whole module in under an hour and it's nice to listen to someone teach you instead of teaching yourself.

The second thing you should do when you finish a topic is practice exam questions - This is the most important thing you have to focus on if you want to do well in exams , exam technique is so crucial at A level compared to GCSE. You can find questions on Physics and Maths Tutor or Study Mind (I'll also leave the links below) Especially with calculations you only get better with practice - for the more theoretical part of chemistry flashcards are good for like the key definitions you need to know or certain reactions you need to remember.

This is the link for the spec you need : https://www.ocr.org.uk/images/171720-specification-accredited-a-level-gce-chemistry-a-h432.pdf
CGP textbook: https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/secondary-books/as-and-a-level/science/chemistry/cratb72-a-level-chemistry-for-ocr-a-year-1-2
Physics and Maths tutor questions ( do AS only this year) : https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/chemistry-revision/a-level-ocr-a/
StudyMind questions ( I like this site because it organises the topics really well) : https://studymind.co.uk/resource/ocr-a-level-chemistry/

That's pretty much all my advice I'm happy to asnwer any other questions you have and good luck with A level Chemistry.
Original post by Ikra0t
Also, I went on the OCR A website to download the spec and there are two versions, AS and A level, should I only print the AS for this year and for next year I should print the A level Spec. my last question would be when should I take the practical test for chemistry? would you do the test in the first or second year? so sorry for asking so many questions, i just have a lot and i don't know who to ask. but thank you :smile:

Regarding the Practical Tests I'd say try and get them all done before year 13 - obviously there's still some that you do in year 13 too but try and get most done in first year and the ones for second year do them before April/March so you have time to revise for your exams. I'm curious tho why are you teaching yourself the subject?
Reply 6
No problem at all! Glad I was able to help. In terms of revision I have a few tips:

To learn content you have the main source of revision which is the OCR textbook and I'd say it's pretty good in explaining the topics I used it myself last year and I wouldn't say it's bad. However I do feel like sometimes it does waffle a bit and contains stuff you don't necessarily need to learn so I'd also recommend checking out the cgp student textbook I'll leave the link below - this book will save you so much time it literally summarises everything really well and makes everything so simple and easy to understand. Last point is , if you don't feel like reading a textbook and making notes AlleryChemistry Revision videos are soo useful on youtube he goes thru a whole module in under an hour and it's nice to listen to someone teach you instead of teaching yourself.

The second thing you should do when you finish a topic is practice exam questions - This is the most important thing you have to focus on if you want to do well in exams , exam technique is so crucial at A level compared to GCSE. You can find questions on Physics and Maths Tutor or Study Mind (I'll also leave the links below) Especially with calculations you only get better with practice - for the more theoretical part of chemistry flashcards are good for like the key definitions you need to know or certain reactions you need to remember.

This is the link for the spec you need : https://www.ocr.org.uk/images/171720-specification-accredited-a-level-gce-chemistry-a-h432.pdf
CGP textbook: https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/secondary-books/as-and-a-level/science/chemistry/cratb72-a-level-chemistry-for-ocr-a-year-1-2
Physics and Maths tutor questions ( do AS only this year) : https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/chemistry-revision/a-level-ocr-a/
StudyMind questions ( I like this site because it organises the topics really well) : https://studymind.co.uk/resource/ocr-a-level-chemistry/

That's pretty much all my advice I'm happy to asnwer any other questions you have and good luck with A level Chemistry.

Thank you so so so so much!! I truly appreciate this! this is really helpful, I'll be sure to check the links out, If I have any questions I'll be sure to dm you :smile:
Reply 7
Regarding the Practical Tests I'd say try and get them all done before year 13 - obviously there's still some that you do in year 13 too but try and get most done in first year and the ones for second year do them before April/March so you have time to revise for your exams. I'm curious tho why are you teaching yourself the subject?

Ooooou I got it, thank you, and the reason I'm self-teaching is because I'm 20 years old so I can't go back to school to do A levels, the collages that do accept adults are really far away from my home and the online courses are out of my budget for three A levels, so the only options are to self revise and have tutors from time to time. I have a part-time job and that's to save up for the A-level exams :smile:
Original post by Ikra0t
Ooooou I got it, thank you, and the reason I'm self-teaching is because I'm 20 years old so I can't go back to school to do A levels, the collages that do accept adults are really far away from my home and the online courses are out of my budget for three A levels, so the only options are to self revise and have tutors from time to time. I have a part-time job and that's to save up for the A-level exams :smile:

AHH wow you're hustling hahah I really thought you just finished your GCSE's but best of luck !!
Reply 9
AHH wow you're hustling hahah I really thought you just finished your GCSE's but best of luck !!

hate being behind but oh well, thank you! I appreciate it

I know this is unrelated but would you say that OCR A chemistry questions on PMT are good? Because I've seen things like 10 markers, and apparently they've mixed questions up with the old spec
Original post by Alvi_04
I know this is unrelated but would you say that OCR A chemistry questions on PMT are good? Because I've seen things like 10 markers, and apparently they've mixed questions up with the old spec

yeah that is true - I dont use them myself but it's good practice although some questions may be unrelated. Questions on study mind tho are a bit easy compared to PMT so sometimes I use both but I skip some of the questions on PMT.

Quick Reply

Latest