The Student Room Group

Higher maths GCSE

I am currently on foundation GCSE maths at a grade 5. I want to move onto higher and my teacher is letting me but will I be able to cover all the higher content in a month.
Original post by suzy23
I am currently on foundation GCSE maths at a grade 5. I want to move onto higher and my teacher is letting me but will I be able to cover all the higher content in a month.

No - not with all the other revision. I suggest you look at key topics at grades 6 and 7.

Try here: https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports [passports 3 and 4]

or here: https://mmerevise.co.uk/gcse-maths-revision/ [choose the board and then revision worksheets]

What help are school giving - it's incredibly late to be changing tier
Original post by Muttley79
No - not with all the other revision. I suggest you look at key topics at grades 6 and 7.

Try here: https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports [passports 3 and 4]

or here: https://mmerevise.co.uk/gcse-maths-revision/ [choose the board and then revision worksheets]

What help are school giving - it's incredibly late to be changing tier

I asked to change because I need it for dentistry and my current grade is a 5 in GCSE maths
Original post by suzy23
I asked to change because I need it for dentistry and my current grade is a 5 in GCSE maths

Yes I understand that but you need good grades in your other subjects too. Try the passports and get support from teachers. I'm surprised no-one told you this earlier.
Original post by Muttley79
Yes I understand that but you need good grades in your other subjects too. Try the passports and get support from teachers. I'm surprised no-one told you this earlier.

I just realised that I wanted to do dentistry instead of law so that’s why. My other grades are fine that why I’m asking if it will be easy learning the higher content as my other grades are high.
Original post by suzy23
I just realised that I wanted to do dentistry instead of law so that’s why. My other grades are fine that why I’m asking if it will be easy learning the higher content as my other grades are high.

Your best chance of a 6 or 7 is to focus on topics at those grades or areas you find easier. How many Higher papers have you done?

Don't neglect your other subjects though - keep them ticking over.
What exam board are you doing?
Higher maths is challenging and there is a lot of content in it you probably have not covered before. Law and dentistry are quite different carreers - what made you switch to dentistry? I'm just curious because I'm very interested in dentistry too and hope to eventually study orthodontics!

In terms of your grades: are you a very high 5 or a low 5? If you're a very high 5 (and I mean near 100% in all of your maths mocks and assessments) then I think you could be able to take higher, although this is very risky and I can tell you now you definitely won't be able to cover all the topics, this is coming from a higher Maths student. If you pick a few topics to master, again this is also risky because there's no guarantee they're going to come up!
I think that in your position, I would be very stressed trying to learn everything in a month along with all my other subjects even though I scored all 8s and 9s in my mocks. Do you find it easy to motivate yourself or do you get distracted easily when working? These are all things you need to take into account.

Overall, I wouldn't take higher even if you are a high grade 5 because of the stress and the fact that you will be at a massive disadvantage compared to 80% of the other applicants this year. Also, remember there's loads of jobs within dentistry - not just a dentist! You could be a dental nurse or technician which I think may have slightly lower entrance requirements (though double check this!) Also, your dream job may change! Generally law graduates are people who study essay based subjects (I do recognise this is not always the case!) But you definitely need sciences for dentistry. What subjects are you thinking of taking next year?
Original post by Caotica
What exam board are you doing?
Higher maths is challenging and there is a lot of content in it you probably have not covered before. Law and dentistry are quite different carreers - what made you switch to dentistry? I'm just curious because I'm very interested in dentistry too and hope to eventually study orthodontics!

In terms of your grades: are you a very high 5 or a low 5? If you're a very high 5 (and I mean near 100% in all of your maths mocks and assessments) then I think you could be able to take higher, although this is very risky and I can tell you now you definitely won't be able to cover all the topics, this is coming from a higher Maths student. If you pick a few topics to master, again this is also risky because there's no guarantee they're going to come up!
I think that in your position, I would be very stressed trying to learn everything in a month along with all my other subjects even though I scored all 8s and 9s in my mocks. Do you find it easy to motivate yourself or do you get distracted easily when working? These are all things you need to take into account.

Overall, I wouldn't take higher even if you are a high grade 5 because of the stress and the fact that you will be at a massive disadvantage compared to 80% of the other applicants this year. Also, remember there's loads of jobs within dentistry - not just a dentist! You could be a dental nurse or technician which I think may have slightly lower entrance requirements (though double check this!) Also, your dream job may change! Generally law graduates are people who study essay based subjects (I do recognise this is not always the case!) But you definitely need sciences for dentistry. What subjects are you thinking of taking next year?

My other grades are a 6 in English Language, 4 in English Literature, 6 in history, 8 in business, a 6-6 in Combined Science higher and a 5 in maths. I’m thinking of doing A level Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. The issue is the 5 in GCSEs maths because my sixth form requires a 6 and a 6-6 in combined science which I am getting. Do you know anyone that got a 5 in GCSE maths and got to do those A level subjects or similar.
(edited 1 year ago)
I think Biology, Chemistry and Physcology are a great combo as I know several people who are taking them next year with lots of different carreers in mind.

I'm afraid I'm not in contact with that many people doing A levels as I'm also in year 11. However, at my school triple science is compulsory at GCSE and you need a 7 in maths to take any science at A level (it's a grammar school tho so most requirements at other schools will be lower) but a lot of people last year wanting to take science didn't get a grade 7 in maths so they changed it. Now it's "recommended" you have a 7 in maths but they'll still let you take science if you have a 6. Your school may be able to do something like that or make an exception for you, but the only way they are going to do that is if they know about your situation

Are you changing sixth forms or staying on?
The best piece of advice I can give you is speak to your maths and science teachers. If they know your a hard worker and enthusiastic about science then they might be able to see if an exception can be made. Also email the head of sixth form and talk to your form tutor about this becuase ultimately, if more people know about it, the problems more likely to get addressed.
Original post by Caotica
I think Biology, Chemistry and Physcology are a great combo as I know several people who are taking them next year with lots of different carreers in mind.

I'm afraid I'm not in contact with that many people doing A levels as I'm also in year 11. However, at my school triple science is compulsory at GCSE and you need a 7 in maths to take any science at A level (it's a grammar school tho so most requirements at other schools will be lower) but a lot of people last year wanting to take science didn't get a grade 7 in maths so they changed it. Now it's "recommended" you have a 7 in maths but they'll still let you take science if you have a 6. Your school may be able to do something like that or make an exception for you, but the only way they are going to do that is if they know about your situation

Are you changing sixth forms or staying on?
The best piece of advice I can give you is speak to your maths and science teachers. If they know your a hard worker and enthusiastic about science then they might be able to see if an exception can be made. Also email the head of sixth form and talk to your form tutor about this becuase ultimately, if more people know about it, the problems more likely to get addressed.

I’m going to be changing sixth forms what I am thinking of doing is just to sit the foundation maths and then convince the sixth from to let me take those A levels and then whilst doing A levels resit GCSEs maths but the higher paper
I think that's a really good plan. Best of luck with your studies and the future 😀

Quick Reply

Latest