The Student Room Group

Mental health impacting work

Hello.

I have high anxiety and it's impacting on me wanting to go to work. I'm freaking out to go back in Monday.

I've also had an interview come through but literally freaked out and dong feel i have the strength to go for it. It's an internal position.
Hello :smile:.

First of all, Its important to acknowledge that this is completely normal and healthy to feel these emotions. As a disclaimer, am not a medical advisor, I am just another student sharing my own experience and I have came to understand that sometimes anxiety can cross over into excitement. I have struggled a lot myself with anxiety and my bit of advice is to be extremely kind, gentle and compassionate to yourself.

When I am highly anxious, I firstly tell myself that I am SAFE. When we are in fight or flight mode our bodies are telling us that our environment is not safe. Its a survival technique that is being unconsciously activated. Try putting your arms around yourself and giving yourself a hug and telling yourself that you ARE SAFE :smile:. You are not under any type of threat. Breathing techniques are also excellent for anxiety.

Secondly, assess whether this job is DEFINATELY what you want. Do not pressure yourself to go through with something that deep down you are unhappy with. Upon review, if these opportunities are something that you feel is right for you (despite external pressures and opinions!) then tell yourself that you ARE DESERVANT of happiness and these opportunities! :smile: and take one little, gentle, baby step at a time. See the day broken down into tiny segments and remain present for each of these. For example.

- I am waking up (and enjoy the little things that come with waking up)
- I am traveling to my interview ( and focus on the little things that come with the journey such as getting a coffee, playing music etc)
- maybe do some affirmations to encourage yourself before going into the interview.

Remember, what Is FOR YOU will NEVER MISS YOU. :smile: . Have faith in yourself.
Do your best and forget the rest.

I would like to provide you with a few links to provide further support. I hope this helps! :smile:

The tapping technique to help with anxiety:

https://www.thetappingsolution.com/what-is-eft-tapping/#:~:text=Basic%20Tapping%20Sequence%20for%20Anxiety%201%20Eyebrow%20%28EB%29,nose%20%28UN%29%20The%20point%20centered%20between%20the%20bottom

15 Tips to soothe Anxiety

https://www.healthline.com/health/self-soothe#:~:text=According%20to%20Lavelle%2C%20this%20might%20involve%3A%201%20noticing,I%20fear%20aren%E2%80%99t%20happening%2C%20and%20I%20am%20safe.%E2%80%9D

I really hope this helps :smile:
Be gentle to yourself!
Sending positive energy.
All the best,

- Laura
(edited 1 year ago)
Thank you so much for your reply and trying to support with the anxiety. I'll look at the links, I'm quite aware of my anxiety and try to take things slowly etc..
Work is causing a lot of anxiety bit there's a few stuff going on at home with people not very well and I'm trying to process it all.

In terms of the interview im not sure whether at the moment In in that emotional state to do the interview (which is in the day my grandad has an operation) and if in the small chance i get it i don't think I'll be able to cope with working full time at such short notice. I think if the interview wasn't on Wed i maybe would have tried to give it a go. I've asked to see if they can arrange.

Quick Reply

Latest