The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get CCC at A Level?

Specifically in the humanities subjects
(English Language, History, Geography)
hii!!

i started college in september and I do english language + geography.

back in yr11, during gcse's, i was like top of the class in both of those subjects (which is why i picked them lol)
turns out english lang is NOTHING like GCSE's at all. I still enjoy it thankfully, but it is so so so much harder than at GCSE. I got an 8 in GCSE and now at A-level i keep getting B's or C's and I even got a D the other week. I'm also having to do a LOT more work (which I should've expected really) but it's very different to GCSE'S where i could get a decent grade without trying. However, I do think that if I just keep putting in more effort I should be able to drag my grade up to an A (fingers crossed!)

geography is really similar to what it was like at GCSE just in more depth, though. i enjoy it a lot tho it gets repetitive and boring at times. if you were good at geography at GCSE and have good work ethic and put in a lot of effort at A-level, u should be able to get a A easily. a C grade is easily achievable in geography. literally if u use ur gcse knowledge you can still get a C.

for example there was an exam i didn't revise for at all and i was sure i was going to fail but since a lot of the content is the same as GCSE i was able to waffle my way through. also there are a lot of marks for 'analyse the data shown in figure 1' type questions and obviously u can answer those with basic levels of knowledge so that's always good!!

I think it's all about the amount of work you do outside of class. so if u know that u aren't the most disciplined and self motivated person, maybe those subjects will be harder for u

but in my opinion it's not hard at all to get a C. esp in humanity subjects.

good luck x
Original post by Muichiro Tokito

I do english language and history, along with film studies.

I actually am really enjoying english language , it’s completely different to gcse and is more about how people talk, accents, and how children learn language. I switched onto the course late and they made me take the end of topic mini exam the day after and I did alright on it. You would have to do work but it’s much less than history.

History would mean A LOT of work. For just the civil rights exams there are 8 topics and each of them have a lot of content, much more that at gcse. There’s also a lot of work I have to do at home for this . 4/5 times a week at home compared to 0/1 for english, although this may just be because of how my teachers chose to set work.
Original post by Muichiro Tokito

Heya!
It's generally a good idea to try doing your best and making sure you do proper revision :h: It still takes some work and practice to get the marks! If it helps, Study Mind has plenty of free resources you can use!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest