The Student Room Group

If you did not do well in year 12, can you do well in year 13?

Anyone experience this, please give me advice.
Reply 1
Ive had friends who got D's in their year 12 exams (AS level) and ended up with A's in the year 13 exams (A levels) but if by bad grades you mean failing then I suggest you take a gap year and redo your exams with proper focus cuz thats what im doing
Reply 2
Original post by seeratbk
Ive had friends who got D's in their year 12 exams (AS level) and ended up with A's in the year 13 exams (A levels) but if by bad grades you mean failing then I suggest you take a gap year and redo your exams with proper focus cuz thats what im doing

Thank you for your help. I mean if you do bad in your AS levels and work really hard in year 13 are you able to get A*s and As.
If you didn't do well in year 12 and your AS-Levels because you didn't put any effort in, slacked off and weren't focused, and if you carry through the same mentality through to your A-Levels, then you can't expect to do any better. However, if you put your head down and dedicate the time into your work then there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to achieve those As and A*s.

I personally go to a private sixth form where people tend to do exceptionally well at A-Levels, and our teachers tell us to live by this general rule: for every hour you work in lessons is an hour you should work our of school. Essentially, six hours of Maths in lesson a week should ensure that you do another six hours of independent work at home. I'm not going to lie, I do find it hard to stick to sometimes, but it's what gets you the results. :smile:

Good luck!
Definitely. I did averagely in year 12 (finished the year with BCC) and managed to pull it up to A*AA by year 13. It did require a lot of hard work but as long as you start early and stay organised then anything is possible.

Have a plan, don't slack, make use of all the resources available to you (esp past papers and mark schemes) and don't be afraid to ask your teachers for help.
Reply 5
Original post by username4310824
Definitely. I did averagely in year 12 (finished the year with BCC) and managed to pull it up to A*AA by year 13. It did require a lot of hard work but as long as you start early and stay organised then anything is possible.

Have a plan, don't slack, make use of all the resources available to you (esp past papers and mark schemes) and don't be afraid to ask your teachers for help.

Did you manage to get into the top university with these final graded even though the as Level grades are bad?
In year 12 I basically got CCC (But really got CCU) BUT in Year 13 it went BCA/BBA! Because I did art, I spend usually one hour on week days during the summer being ahead in my project and with my film and media studies (only media tbh) I did my coursework early and was heading towards an A! Contacting teachers seeing what to work on and doing things early really helped! I had the weekend to myself most of the time and did little to nothing in the half term holidays VERY surprised how I was able to, but then the lockdown happened

ALSO another top tip that I got from a documentary of healthcare workers in the USA, you need a laugh and to not take everything too seriously otherwise you will have a breakdown. I did get anxious, worry and ask questions all the time but now I look back, I needed to relax! I was VERY ahead
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by username4310824

damnnn ur my motivation - January of year 12 and I'm on B,C,D .. I really need AAA as i want to do dentistry at manchester
Reply 8
Original post by sof1a_2005
damnnn ur my motivation - January of year 12 and I'm on B,C,D .. I really need AAA as i want to do dentistry at manchester

Did you do it?

Quick Reply

Latest