The Student Room Group

Urgent MCQ chemistry help

Help, the q I have is annotated in the postIMG_2147.jpeg

Also what would the is be after it is refluxed with acidified do chromateIMG_2149.jpeg
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Alevelhelp.1
Help, the q I have is annotated in the postIMG_2147.jpeg

Also what would the is be after it is refluxed with acidified do chromateIMG_2149.jpeg

A can’t be true, since any carbon-carbon bond is nonpolar, since each carbon atom has the same electronegativity.

B must be correct, since C-C bonds are less easily broken than C=C bonds, as exemplified when you attempt to react alkanes and alkenes with bromine (the C=C bonds in alkenes react, but the C-C bonds are unchanged).

Oh and for the other question you have, there is a ketone group and a alcohol on the molecule.

Does attempting to oxidise a ketone with K2Cr2O7 + H2SO4 actually do anything to the ketone group?

Does attempting to oxidise a alcohol do anything?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by TypicalNerd
A can’t be true, since any carbon-carbon bond is nonpolar, since each carbon atom has the same electronegativity.

B must be correct, since C-C bonds are less easily broken than C=C bonds, as exemplified when you attempt to react alkanes and alkenes with bromine (the C=C bonds in alkenes react, but the C-C bonds are unchanged).

Oh and for the other question you have, there is a ketone group and a alcohol on the molecule.

Does attempting to oxidise a ketone with K2Cr2O7 + H2SO4 actually do anything to the ketone group?

Does attempting to oxidise a alcohol do anything?

Yep oxidising the alc makes a ketone but I’m struggling to draw the compound plz help
And also this question IMG_2152.jpeg
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Alevelhelp.1
Yep oxidising the alc makes a ketone but I’m struggling to draw the compound plz help
And also this question IMG_2152.jpeg

Hey, oxidising a secondary alcohol produces a ketone - so the oh group would be swapped with a o double bond.
As for the other question, amines and carboxylic acids don't react, but acyl chlorides and amines do
Basically this is because the carbon in the acyl chloride is attached to both an o and a cl, which are both really electronegative, so the carbon has a very positive charge that attracts the lone pair of electrons on the nitrogen in the amine - whereas the carbon in a carboxylic avid is only attached to 2 Os, which are less electronegative so the c is less positive and attacks the amine less, so they are less likely to react

Quick Reply

Latest