The Student Room Group

Personal Statement

I want to apply for English literature, but my interest in the subject is a bit strange and not typical. I am interested in folk tales and fairy tales and things in literature (or on their own). Is this not good or relevant for the PS for English? How do I mention books I've read around it?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
having a unique personal interest in your subject is good and should be mentioned in a personal statement ! there are modules in uni english around folk / fairy tales so its relevant even if its niche. maybe mention other areas of english you're interested in too, to show your interest in the subject isnt too narrow, but mentioning that interest would be good too. as long as you expand on why you like it, how it makes you consider wider ideas in literature etc, i think its good
having a personal statement unique to you is good and what unis are looking for ! they dont want everyone exclusively talking about shakespeare and austen lol
Hi, I’m in year 13 and applied for law so my subject is somewhat different, however I was told by teachers and family that universities tend to like you to talk about your own interests and the reasons you want to study your course. I would also say that for creative subjects like English literature this advice probably applies even more as I would think they are more about your own interests in relation to literature and poetry as opposed to the more structured nature of subjects like law or medicine. So talking about your own interests should be fine, good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by zzkng
having a unique personal interest in your subject is good and should be mentioned in a personal statement ! there are modules in uni english around folk / fairy tales so its relevant even if its niche. maybe mention other areas of english you're interested in too, to show your interest in the subject isnt too narrow, but mentioning that interest would be good too. as long as you expand on why you like it, how it makes you consider wider ideas in literature etc, i think its good
having a personal statement unique to you is good and what unis are looking for ! they dont want everyone exclusively talking about shakespeare and austen lol

thanks so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending