The Student Room Group

n/a

n/a
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by bamsa
I’m currently in year 12, doing my end of year mocks, and ive come to the realisation that i’m really not enjoying geography a level (edexcel). It’s not that i’m doing bad in it (i’ve consistently been getting A/A*s) it’s just the whole year so far I’ve completely neglected it because i put little work in but achieved the same grades in it as my other two subjects which i spent most my time doing. But now because of these mocks i’ve realised i don’t actually know that much and having to revise it has really drained me. I just have no motivation. I don’t know what to do- ive thought about switching to chemistry (learning the content up till now by myself), but because it’s almost 8 months into year 12 now I don’t know if i’d be allowed. Another risk is I don’t need chemistry as an alevel. It’s just i think i would enjoy it way more (there is a chance i might just like the idea of it though). I have no idea what to do. Like the thought of having to do my geography NEA fills me with dread. Should I just stick with geography for another year or take a risk? Restarting the year is also not an option for me. please help!

Do you know what university course you want to apply to? It might not require geography so then you could speak to the teachers at your school and see if there’s anything they could do - it doesn’t hurt to ask!
Original post by etsworld
Do you know what university course you want to apply to? It might not require geography so then you could speak to the teachers at your school and see if there’s anything they could do - it doesn’t hurt to ask!

Thank you for responding! I intend on taking psych for uni, so geography is not needed at all. So chemistry would be way more useful because it’s a science subject. I’m just concerned that because chemistry is super demanding and it requires you to do coursework (practicals) they might not let me.
Reply 3
When i was in sixth form you had a maximum of 2 months so end of October if you wanted to switch alevels, which i did (history to econ) it was a great decision as I HATED history, however 8 months in is far too long and chemistry (which i did myself) is one of the hardest content heavy alevels so i would suggest thinking about it carefully alevels are only 2 years long i do not think it is sensible considering you're doing well in geo.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by bamsa
Thank you for responding! I intend on taking psych for uni, so geography is not needed at all. So chemistry would be way more useful because it’s a science subject. I’m just concerned that because chemistry is super demanding and it requires you to do coursework (practicals) they might not let me.

Chemistry is much too bulky to do before next year May I think, maybe you could try applied science? Honestly I’m not sure because a lot of schools do have quite a tight time frame on changing your mind, but I hope all goes well! I do biology so the practicals wouldn’t be so much of a problem but I know a level sciences are very very very content heavy.
Original post by spongee
When i was in sixth form you had a maximum of 2 months so end of October if you wanted to switch alevels, which i did (history to econ) it was a great decision as I HATED history, however 8 months in is far too long and chemistry (which i did myself) is one of the hardest content heavy alevels so i would suggest thinking about it carefully alevels are only 2 years long i do not think it is sensible considering you're doing well in geo.

So would you say chemistry is super demanding then? I’m just concerned that eventhough my grades are okay now, if i continue i will really struggle with geo and my end grade won’t be the best because it doesn’t interest me and i don’t enjoy learning it.
Reply 6
Original post by bamsa
So would you say chemistry is super demanding then? I’m just concerned that eventhough my grades are okay now, if i continue i will really struggle with geo and my end grade won’t be the best because it doesn’t interest me and i don’t enjoy learning it.

Yes, chem is very demanding and requires hard hard work, I did further maths, econ and bio as well and chem was the most challenging for me. Tbh I hated further maths but banged out an A so i would say keep going Yr 13 goes by so quick its better to stick with geo! :smile:
Original post by etsworld
Chemistry is much too bulky to do before next year May I think, maybe you could try applied science? Honestly I’m not sure because a lot of schools do have quite a tight time frame on changing your mind, but I hope all goes well! I do biology so the practicals wouldn’t be so much of a problem but I know a level sciences are very very very content heavy.

I do think I would be able to convince the school if i proved to them I’m capable of taking it on, but it is very risky as it is a bulky subject like you said. It’s just this has been playing on my mind non stop for the last couple of days and it’s starting to a take a toll on me as i still have exams for my other subjects but i can’t stop thinking about it.
Original post by spongee
Yes, chem is very demanding and requires hard hard work, I did further maths, econ and bio as well and chem was the most challenging for me. Tbh I hated further maths but banged out an A so i would say keep going Yr 13 goes by so quick its better to stick with geo! :smile:

Ahh how did you stay motivated with further maths (well done on your grade btw!)? just the thought of sticking with geo makes me dread year 13. it could just be the stress talking because it’s exam season, paired with the fact that the topics im doing in geo at the moment are really not for me.
Original post by bamsa
I’m currently in year 12, doing my end of year mocks, and ive come to the realisation that i’m really not enjoying geography a level (edexcel). It’s not that i’m doing bad in it (i’ve consistently been getting A/A*s) it’s just the whole year so far I’ve completely neglected it because i put little work in but achieved the same grades in it as my other two subjects which i spent most my time doing. But now because of these mocks i’ve realised i don’t actually know that much and having to revise it has really drained me. I just have no motivation. I don’t know what to do- ive thought about switching to chemistry (learning the content up till now by myself), but because it’s almost 8 months into year 12 now I don’t know if i’d be allowed. Another risk is I don’t need chemistry as an alevel. It’s just i think i would enjoy it way more (there is a chance i might just like the idea of it though). I have no idea what to do. Like the thought of having to do my geography NEA fills me with dread. Should I just stick with geography for another year or take a risk? Restarting the year is also not an option for me. please help!

Heya!
I would recommend talking to your teacher and discussing what your options are :h: One option would be just pushing through and getting geography done with. If you planning to do another subject then you might need to take a gap year to finish it. Chemistry is quite bulky! Your teacher would be able to advise you more about it!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest