The Student Room Group

unseen poetry 15 marker

Could someone please offer me a mark /15 for this eduqas unseen poetry question. I gave myself 20 minutes to do it but didn't manage to finish off with the last stanza, but hopefully will be able to next time as this was only my first practise.

Question :
page 20
https://revisionworld.com/sites/revisionworld.com/files/imce/s19-5720-02.pdf

My response:

Pogson begins the poem with a mother describing her fond memories of her child as a baby, like it was only ‘yesterday’ creating a feeling of the memories being something special, as they constantly remain at the forefront of the speaker’s mind. The mother is ‘marvelled’ that her baby’s foot is ‘so perfect’ making me feel as thought the mother is appreciating the beautiful and wonderous aesthetic of her baby, as the Pogson’s use of the verb ‘marvelled’ connotes the mother being in astonishment, which for me exaggerates her disbelief that her flawless child’s foot “could be so small”. The mother then describes how she can now “fit [her] hand in” when cleaning the child’s shoes, creating a sense of time passing, making me feel as though the mother misses when the child was a ‘perfect’ baby.

The second stanza beings with the line “I can remember” which builds onto the nostalgic mood of the poem, as both the first and second stanza have begun remembering past experiences. The mother remembers when she was ‘centred’ round her child, implying her entire life revolved around the love and care of her child as the child was an essential part of her everyday life. Perhaps Pogson’s use of the adjective ‘centred’ highlights the mother’s emotions when with her child, as the adjective connotes peace and relaxation, making me feel as thought the bond between the mother and child was so great that it made the mother feel stable in her life.

The speaker goes onto talk about how she will “wave you off in the morning” perhaps for school, which could suggests that the child is moving away from her mother, emotionally as well as physically. I get the impression that the mother feels incomplete without her child as she is ‘tuned’ to the return of her child. Pogson’s use of this verb gives me the impression that her love and connection with her child is so great that she can predict the child’s arrival. I get the feeling that similar to an instrument that needs tuning, if the mother was not ‘tuned’ and ready for her child’s arrival, she would be broken and lose her purpose.

Mark scheme:
page 31
https://revisionworld.com/sites/revisionworld.com/files/imce/s19-C720U20-1%20EDUQAS%20GCSE%20Eng%20Lit%20Comp%202%20MS%20S19.pdf

Thank you so much if anyone manages to do it, will be a real help for me!
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending