The Student Room Group

A levels for Law Degree?

I’m going into yr 12 next year, but still haven’t decided fully what a levels to take. I was thinking Law, Maths and Psychology.
I know you’re meant to take an essay based subject, but i don’t think i’ll be able to do as well in eng lit or history.
so, will these a levels (provided i get good grades) allow me to take a law degree? - or suggestions for other ones would be helpful!
Original post by e.f06
I’m going into yr 12 next year, but still haven’t decided fully what a levels to take. I was thinking Law, Maths and Psychology.
I know you’re meant to take an essay based subject, but i don’t think i’ll be able to do as well in eng lit or history.
so, will these a levels (provided i get good grades) allow me to take a law degree? - or suggestions for other ones would be helpful!

It's recommended that you take essay based subjects, but it doesn't mean you can't take other subjects.

The key requirement is 3 good A Levels + LNAT (for competitive universities). What subjects the A Levels are in doesn't really matter.
Essay based subjects are recommended because law will involve a lot of reading and critical thinking, skills predominant in essay based subjects.

I have seen people with science A Levels meant specifically for chemistry manage to secure a place in law at Oxbridge.

To me what matters more would be getting the grades more than the subjects. You would also need to express your passion about law in your personal statement as well as considering revising very hard for LNAT.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
It's recommended that you take essay based subjects, but it doesn't mean you can't take other subjects.

The key requirement is 3 good A Levels + LNAT (for competitive universities). What subjects the A Levels are in doesn't really matter.
Essay based subjects are recommended because law will involve a lot of reading and critical thinking, skills predominant in essay based subjects.

I have seen people with science A Levels meant specifically for chemistry manage to secure a place in law at Oxbridge.

To me what matters more would be getting the grades more than the subjects. You would also need to express your passion about law in your personal statement as well as considering revising very hard for LNAT.

thank you for the advice, i think i’ll probably stay with these subjects or swap psychology with eng lit or politics.

Quick Reply

Latest