The Student Room Group

Which race was Queen Cleopatra?

Is there any reason to think she isn't Greek and Egyptian? Just read the controversy over the Netflix stuff and I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge to share.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PossiblyNotGod
Is there any reason to think she isn't Greek and Egyptian? Just read the controversy over the Netflix stuff and I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge to share.

According to Wikipedia:
The race of Cleopatra VII, the last active Hellenistic ruler of the Macedonian-led Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt, has caused some debate in some circles.[2][3] There is a general consensus among scholars that she was predominantly of Macedonian Greek ancestry and minorly of Iranian descent. Others, including scholars and laymen, have publicly speculated on whether she may have had additional ancestries.[3][4][5]
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleopatra_race_controversy

Having said that, there is no genetic evidence to say which race Cleopatra was. There is no DNA to work with.
Also, in the ancient world races mixed quite a lot in the Mediterranean area; they didn't really care much for differences in races. People also moved around a lot; no one empire really stayed in one place throughout history (I can point out various lineages in British history for example, despite being on an island and mainly isolated from the rest of Europe since the recent ice ages).

A lot of the material out there is theoretical, so for all we know she is just as much as of any other ethnicity as Egyptian or Greek. Egyptian also isn't strictly one race as it can be a mixture of ethnicities. For example, there is evidence of people in Egypt having red hair, hair colour predominantly associated with those of Irish and Russian origins.

I personally care less about PC and what the woke culture think and more about what is factually correct. When I read about history, I care more about what the person did as opposed to what race they were anyway - people don't write the history of a person because of his/her race.

Queen Cleopatra was a member of the Ptolemaic dynasty, which was of Greek origin and ruled Egypt after Alexander the Great's death. So, Cleopatra was of Greek descent and not of Egyptian or any other race.
Human. :biggrin:

She probably was of mixed racial ancestry with ancestors whose ethnicities were connected with ancient asian and middle eastern civilizations as well as ancient greece.

As far as I know she had Macedonian ancestors and was grown up in Egypt. It is said that was the daughter of a general who fought with Alexander The Great in many battles. So strictly speaking, she is not a Greek. Macedonia and Greek are different!
White

Modern day Greeks are considered White therefore she was white she's was probably whiter than the average Greek today
Original post by Kallisto
As far as I know she had Macedonian ancestors and was grown up in Egypt. It is said that was the daughter of a general who fought with Alexander The Great in many battles. So strictly speaking, she is not a Greek. Macedonia and Greek are different!

How? Macedonia is a state in Greece its like saying being Spartan and Greek are different

Cleopatra not being Greek is a new age debate that only arised over the past decades it mainly exists because a certain group of black people claim ancient Egyptians were all black(Sub-Saharan African)
in the movies she is portrayed as white ? presumably the writers would have done their research....

cleo.png
Saying Cleopatra was Greek/Macedonian is a bit like saying King Charles is German (Saxe-Coburg). After 250 years, things get a bit messy.
Original post by MindMax2000
According to Wikipedia:
The race of Cleopatra VII, the last active Hellenistic ruler of the Macedonian-led Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt, has caused some debate in some circles.[2][3] There is a general consensus among scholars that she was predominantly of Macedonian Greek ancestry and minorly of Iranian descent. Others, including scholars and laymen, have publicly speculated on whether she may have had additional ancestries.[3][4][5]
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleopatra_race_controversy

Having said that, there is no genetic evidence to say which race Cleopatra was. There is no DNA to work with.
Also, in the ancient world races mixed quite a lot in the Mediterranean area; they didn't really care much for differences in races. People also moved around a lot; no one empire really stayed in one place throughout history (I can point out various lineages in British history for example, despite being on an island and mainly isolated from the rest of Europe since the recent ice ages).

A lot of the material out there is theoretical, so for all we know she is just as much as of any other ethnicity as Egyptian or Greek. Egyptian also isn't strictly one race as it can be a mixture of ethnicities. For example, there is evidence of people in Egypt having red hair, hair colour predominantly associated with those of Irish and Russian origins.

I personally care less about PC and what the woke culture think and more about what is factually correct. When I read about history, I care more about what the person did as opposed to what race they were anyway - people don't write the history of a person because of his/her race.

Inbreeding was common amongst Egyptian royalty so the chances of her having non Greek blood are already minimal. We can definitely say she was Mediterranean but we cant apply modern day social constructs like race to ancient societies it's dumb af. We know what her origin is the place she ruled, who she loved and where she was born and that's substantial information to determine what she looked like
Original post by mqb2766
Saying Cleopatra was Greek/Macedonian is a bit like saying King Charles is German (Saxe-Coburg). After 250 years, things get a bit messy.

Charles is Germanic all anglo-saxoners are Germanic so technically he is German and Cleo was macedonian(Greek) ethnically
Original post by username001345
Charles is Germanic all anglo-saxoners are Germanic so technically he is German and Cleo was macedonian(Greek) ethnically

Thats one ancestral line. 250 years is probably more than 8 generations so theyd both have more than 256* ancestors from that time.

* Inbreeding may reduce this number.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by mqb2766
Thats one ancestral line. 250 years is probably more than 8 generations so theyd both have more than 256* ancestors from that time.

* Inbreeding may reduce this number.

Well they did inbreed and she spoke greek there were most likely more greeks in egypt as it was quite multicultural and Greeks famously studied in egypt.

So the chances are still high
Original post by Kallisto
As far as I know she had Macedonian ancestors and was grown up in Egypt. It is said that was the daughter of a general who fought with Alexander The Great in many battles.

The Ptolemaic dynasty were descended from one of Alexander the Great's generals, Ptolemy son of Lagus.
It is possible that Ptolemy and Alexander the Great were half brothers.
The descendants of Ptolemy ruled ancient Egypt for almost 3 centuries and maintained a very long tradition of endogamous marriages between siblings. Mostly half-siblings, occasionally twins or other full siblings.

Lagus married Arsinoe, a member of the ancient royal house of Temenid and former mistress of Alexander the Great's father Philip II.
Members of the house of Temenid were of Dorian ancient greek tribal descent, as were were their close relatives who founded the royal Argead dynasty that ruled ancient Macedonia from around 700-310BC.
Human.

/thread

She was Greek. Ancient Egyptians were black.
Original post by londonmyst
The Ptolemaic dynasty were descended from one of Alexander the Great's generals, Ptolemy son of Lagus.
It is possible that Ptolemy and Alexander the Great were half brothers.
The descendants of Ptolemy ruled ancient Egypt for almost 3 centuries and maintained a very long tradition of endogamous marriages between siblings. Mostly half-siblings, occasionally twins or other full siblings.

Lagus married Arsinoe, a member of the ancient royal house of Temenid and former mistress of Alexander the Great's father Philip II.
Members of the house of Temenid were of Dorian ancient greek tribal descent, as were were their close relatives who founded the royal Argead dynasty that ruled ancient Macedonia from around 700-310BC.

A very informative and instructional respone you gave. So Cleopatra could possibly even been a niece to Alexander the Great. I know that she has even married her younger brother Ptolemaios, but this blood line to Alexander is completely new to me.
Original post by username001345
How? Macedonia is a state in Greece its like saying being Spartan and Greek are different

At Cleopatra's period - and before her lifetime - Macedonia was an own kingdom with the greatest extention in Alexander's era. An independent ancient state at that time, so it is a difference.
Original post by Wired_1800
She was Greek. Ancient Egyptians were black.

The person on the far right of this image is one self-portrayal of the ancient Egyptians.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_race_controversy#/media/File:colone:gyptian_races.jpg

The more obviously black person is a Nubian. That is not to say there weren't Egyptians who weren't darker (or paler) than portrayed here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending