The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Msc for clinical psychology

Hi all, I am a 3rd year Criminology and psychology student at University. My aspirations are to become a clinical psychologist in the future.
I want to get a MSc in clinical psychology and then go onto a Dclinpsy experience. I am starting to apply now for MSc but am abit confused and was wondering if anyone could help me .

I was wondering Msc like the one in Queen Mary's: psychology of mental health and wellbeing
And King's college: Mental Health Studies MSc are clinical psychology qualifications ? As they don't have the clinical part in their title , but do they all come under clinical psychology , meaning would I be able to get that qualification and go on to do a Dclinpsy??

I am applying to ucl clinical mental health sciences and royal holloways clinical psychology, but was stumped between King's and Queen as I am unsure they are appropriate for what I want to do.

Please if anyone knows could your reply quickly!!

It has been a very stressful process and want to send my applications in ASAP

Thank you so much, wishing you happy holidays :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by ClaudiaAG
Hi all, I am a 3rd year Criminology and psychology student at University. My aspirations are to become a clinical psychologist in the future.
I want to get a MSc in clinical psychology and then go onto a Dclinpsy experience. I am starting to apply now for MSc but am abit confused and was wondering if anyone could help me .

I was wondering Msc like the one in Queen Mary's: psychology of mental health and wellbeing
And King's college: Mental Health Studies MSc are clinical psychology qualifications ? As they don't have the clinical part in their title , but do they all come under clinical psychology , meaning would I be able to get that qualification and go on to do a Dclinpsy??

I am applying to ucl clinical mental health sciences and royal holloways clinical psychology, but was stumped between King's and Queen as I am unsure they are appropriate for what I want to do.

Please if anyone knows could your reply quickly!!

It has been a very stressful process and want to send my applications in ASAP

Thank you so much, wishing you happy holidays :smile:

Experience is king and you dont need a masters to get on the doctorate. I wouldnt get too caught on the Clinical aspect of each course, if you decide to do a masters the best one will be one you get a good grade on.

Good luck,

Greg (A clinical psychologist)
Reply 2
Original post by greg tony
Experience is king and you dont need a masters to get on the doctorate. I wouldnt get too caught on the Clinical aspect of each course, if you decide to do a masters the best one will be one you get a good grade on.

Good luck,

Greg (A clinical psychologist)

Hi Greg,
Thank you so much for the quick reply , experience is key? I really thought you would need a masters to go on to do a doctorate for clinical psychology ? The path is just so confusing.

Thank you for the reply and making some aspects clearer🙂
Reply 3
Hi Greg,
Thank you so much for the quick reply , experience is key? I really thought you would need a masters to go on to do a doctorate for clinical psychology ? The path is just so confusing.

Thank you for the reply and making some aspects clearer🙂

Yes experience and ability to reflect is key. Average practical experience is circa 3 years, and average age (i think) of getting onto the doctorate is 27. Its not simply about ticking boxes but being a well rounded applicant.

A lot kf people do have a masters, and some PhDs before starting the training, but you dont need one to get on. Most of my cohort didnt have either, but did have significant experience, both in research and with clients.

I know it is hard not to race towards course, but the experience you get before is so important and your unlikely to get on a doctorate without good quality experience of at least 12 months fulltime (but reality is 3 plus years for most people).

Hope this doesnt put you down

Greg
Reply 4
Original post by greg tony
Yes experience and ability to reflect is key. Average practical experience is circa 3 years, and average age (i think) of getting onto the doctorate is 27. Its not simply about ticking boxes but being a well rounded applicant.

A lot kf people do have a masters, and some PhDs before starting the training, but you dont need one to get on. Most of my cohort didnt have either, but did have significant experience, both in research and with clients.

I know it is hard not to race towards course, but the experience you get before is so important and your unlikely to get on a doctorate without good quality experience of at least 12 months fulltime (but reality is 3 plus years for most people).

Hope this doesnt put you down

Greg

HI Greg ,

You are the first person to go into depth and give the realities of the career path so it is much appreciated hence why I have so many questions which I apologise for .

I wasn't aware the Dclinpsy needed that many years of experience. My original plan was to get onto some clinical /psychology related masters and then work for 2 or so years during and after it and then apply for the Dclinpsy. I am worried that if I don't do a masters as you say experience is more valuable, that I won't find alot of jobs after finishing my undergraduate without gaining a postgraduate qualification. Would this be accurate to think ?

And no don't worry it hasn't put me down just made me realise some things but I am still sure of the final goal I want , so it's been very helpful . Thank you .🙂
Reply 5
HI Greg ,

You are the first person to go into depth and give the realities of the career path so it is much appreciated hence why I have so many questions which I apologise for .

I wasn't aware the Dclinpsy needed that many years of experience. My original plan was to get onto some clinical /psychology related masters and then work for 2 or so years during and after it and then apply for the Dclinpsy. I am worried that if I don't do a masters as you say experience is more valuable, that I won't find alot of jobs after finishing my undergraduate without gaining a postgraduate qualification. Would this be accurate to think ?

And no don't worry it hasn't put me down just made me realise some things but I am still sure of the final goal I want , so it's been very helpful . Thank you .🙂

No, i dont you think you will be significantly disadvantaged by not having a masters when applying for jobs. You would be far more employable for something like an Assistant Psychologist role if you had some good practical experience (can be as a health care in mental health unit etc) compared to someone just with a masters and some parttime experience. A masters does not necessarily make you more employable, but can help (say if you were going for a role with research involved and you had done an Mres). Just having a masters does not mean you are better suited for the role.

Get a good grade in your degree and focus on jobs (look at nhs, mind, charities). It does not have to be with a clinical psychologist to be valuable and of benefit to the mental health of others. I think my most valuable experience i ever got (i include asst psyc and cbt therapist in this) was volunteering in a child mental health unit. Remember the aim is not to be a stereotype clinical psychologist but who you are and what unique experiences and values you bring also. So i guess i am saying, be yourself, choose jobs that interest you in mental health and dont get too caught up on ticking academic boxes, as often these boxes are not very relevant and dont display who you are and what you can bring to clinical psychology.

Greg
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest