The Student Room Group

school day revision

How many hours of revision should I do on a school day? I'm finding it hard to fit in much between chores and exercise
Reply 1
Original post by luce_.
How many hours of revision should I do on a school day? I'm finding it hard to fit in much between chores and exercise

I'm presuming this is for GCSE level/around, please let me know if I'm wrong.
Really, it depends on you - how strongly do you know the topics, etc. I would say a good length of time for this is anywhere from half an hour to an hour. This also depends on what you're doing - some days you may do a bit less with just flashcards, other days you might do a past paper.

I think a revision timetable is a good idea, but always bear in mind that it's fine to juggle things around - if you're feeling tired on one day, just leave it to prevent burnout, and maybe just do a bit longer session another day. The same applies if you have more chores on one day.

Some people will say they do so many hours of revision a day, which is fine, but can be demotivating. It's important to remember that having multiple small sessions is just as good.

I would also say that at GCSE level one hour every day in a week is perfectly good, and half an hour a day on a weekday and a bit more at the weekend is also good. When I say every day, I mean nigh on, because it's always good to have breaks.

Hope that helps! This is just my take on it, but I find that this is perfectly fine. Best of luck!

P.S. even if you just do 15 minutes on a weekday, it all helps to reinforce the knowledge. Less time does not always equal less power: or to use a common proverb haha, in the end a drip of water wears away the stone :biggrin:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by {Moss}
I'm presuming this is for GCSE level/around, please let me know if I'm wrong.
Really, it depends on you - how strongly do you know the topics, etc. I would say a good length of time for this is anywhere from half an hour to an hour. This also depends on what you're doing - some days you may do a bit less with just flashcards, other days you might do a past paper.

I think a revision timetable is a good idea, but always bear in mind that it's fine to juggle things around - if you're feeling tired on one day, just leave it to prevent burnout, and maybe just do a bit longer session another day. The same applies if you have more chores on one day.

Some people will say they do so many hours of revision a day, which is fine, but can be demotivating. It's important to remember that having multiple small sessions is just as good.

I would also say that at GCSE level one hour every day in a week is perfectly good, and half an hour a day on a weekday and a bit more at the weekend is also good. When I say every day, I mean nigh on, because it's always good to have breaks.

Hope that helps! This is just my take on it, but I find that this is perfectly fine. Best of luck!

P.S. even if you just do 15 minutes on a weekday, it all helps to reinforce the knowledge. Less time does not always equal less power: or to use a common proverb haha, in the end a drip of water wears away the stone :biggrin:

Wow thank you! This is really helpful :]]
Reply 3
Original post by luce_.
Wow thank you! This is really helpful :]]

Glad to be of assistance! Hope all goes well :]
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
3-4 hours minimum
Reply 5
Just as a quick addendum, I thought I'd say how, even at A level you're generally expected to do about 13-15 hours of revision a week, an hour for every hour of studying at school, in order to get like top grades. That's about 1hr 45m a day, weekdays and weekends: and bearing in mind that's at A-level. Considering how much harder A Levels are than GCSEs or similar, that's why I recommend anything up from 30 minutes a day for that level :smile:. Just thought that bit of statistics could put your mind at rest when some say you need to be doing about a gazillion hours haha, good luck once more!
Reply 6
Original post by Flk10
3-4 hours minimum

oh damn 😭
Reply 7
Original post by {Moss}
Just as a quick addendum, I thought I'd say how, even at A level you're generally expected to do about 13-15 hours of revision a week, an hour for every hour of studying at school, in order to get like top grades. That's about 1hr 45m a day, weekdays and weekends: and bearing in mind that's at A-level. Considering how much harder A Levels are than GCSEs or similar, that's why I recommend anything up from 30 minutes a day for that level :smile:. Just thought that bit of statistics could put your mind at rest when some say you need to be doing about a gazillion hours haha, good luck once more!

That's good to know!! Thanks a lot 🙏🙏

Quick Reply

Latest