The Student Room Group

Macbeth

What quotes are there that show Macbeth is a bad king?
"If chance will have me King, why
Chance may crown me,
Without my stir."

This is Macbeth basically hoping for fate to crown him, without having to do any work on his own.

"Let not light see my black and deep desires."

This is Macbeth being an evil 'un.

"Upon my head they placed a fruitless crown
And put a barren scepter in my grip,"

This is Macbeth believing his role as ruler to be void since his kids aren't destined to be king.

Those aren't really quotes that show Macbeth is a bad king, since he isn't. But you could argue for it by defining what a good king is (e.g. Macbeth is only led by his own ambition for power, and thus is a bad king since he does not act in the best interest of the people as a good king would).
Reply 2
Thank you this really helps!
Original post by toxicgamage56
"If chance will have me King, why
Chance may crown me,
Without my stir."

This is Macbeth basically hoping for fate to crown him, without having to do any work on his own.

"Let not light see my black and deep desires."

This is Macbeth being an evil 'un.

"Upon my head they placed a fruitless crown
And put a barren scepter in my grip,"

This is Macbeth believing his role as ruler to be void since his kids aren't destined to be king.

Those aren't really quotes that show Macbeth is a bad king, since he isn't. But you could argue for it by defining what a good king is (e.g. Macbeth is only led by his own ambition for power, and thus is a bad king since he does not act in the best interest of the people as a good king would).
Original post by 18sbeal
Thank you this really helps!

No problem. English is all about interpretation, so interpret what a bad king is for yourself, then it will be much easier to get relevant quotations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending