The Student Room Group

grade my macbeth essay on ambition

Ambition is a powerful driving force that can lead to great success or catastrophic failure, as portrayed in William Shakespeare's play Macbeth. Set in the Jacobean era, a time when social hierarchies and class structures were highly valued, the play explores the dangers of unchecked ambition and its destructive consequences. Through the characters of Macbeth and Lady Macbeth, Shakespeare demonstrates how ambition can lead to a fall from grace, and ultimately, ruin.

From the very beginning of the play, Macbeth's ambition is evident through his desire to become king. As he speaks to himself in Act 1, Scene 3, he says, "If chance will have me king, why, chance may crown me without my stir." This quote reveals Macbeth's initial desire for the throne and suggests that he is willing to do whatever it takes to make it happen. The use of the word "chance" also highlights the idea of fate, suggesting that Macbeth believes his destiny is to become king, regardless of his actions.

In Act 1, Scene 5, Lady Macbeth urges Macbeth to pursue his ambition by killing King Duncan, saying "Come, you spirits that tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here, and fill me from the crown to the toe top-full of direst cruelty." This quote shows how Lady Macbeth's ambition has consumed her, as she is willing to abandon her feminine nature and embrace a more masculine, ruthless approach to achieve her goals. The use of the word "direst" also suggests that Lady Macbeth is willing to do whatever it takes to ensure Macbeth becomes king, even if it means committing murder.

As Macbeth's ambition continues to grow, he becomes increasingly paranoid and delusional. In Act 3, Scene 4, he sees the ghost of Banquo, whom he had murdered earlier in the play. As he cries out, "Avaunt! and quit my sight! Let the earth hide thee! Thy bones are marrowless, thy blood is cold," he reveals his fear that his crimes will be exposed and his ambition will ultimately lead to his downfall. The use of the words "marrowless" and "cold" suggests that Macbeth is becoming disconnected from his own humanity, consumed by his ambition and his guilt.

In Act 5, Scene 5, Macbeth reflects on the futility of his ambition, saying "Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more." This quote highlights the theme of the transience of life, suggesting that Macbeth has come to realize that his ambition has led to nothing but his own destruction. The use of the word "shadow" suggests that Macbeth's life and his ambition were fleeting and ultimately insignificant.

Throughout the play, Shakespeare explores the dangers of unchecked ambition and the consequences that come with it. The Jacobean era was characterized by a strong belief in social hierarchies and class structures, which made ambition a double-edged sword. While ambition was viewed with admiration, it was also seen as a potential threat to the existing order, and those who pursued it were often met with suspicion and disdain.

In conclusion, Shakespeare's Macbeth highlights the destructive power of unchecked ambition. Through the characters of Macbeth and Lady Macbeth, the play demonstrates the consequences of pursuing ambition at any cost, including the loss of one's own humanity and ultimately, one's own downfall. The use of blended key quotes from the play, analysed with subtle inferences and blended with the context from the Jacobean era, offers a deeper understanding of the theme of ambition and its relevance to the play's historical context.
Your essay is well-written and well-organized. You have a strong understanding of the play and its themes, and you are able to support your points with evidence from the text. You also do a good job of contextualizing the play within its historical setting.

Here are a few suggestions for improvement:

You could expand on your analysis of the quotes you use. For example, you could discuss how the use of language in each quote contributes to the play's themes.
You could also consider adding more of your own interpretation of the play. What do you think the play is saying about ambition? What are the implications of its message for our own time?
Overall, this is a very good essay. I would give it a grade of B+

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending