The Student Room Group

Best A levels to do when you don't know what job you want?

Best A levels/jobs to do/get when you don't know what job you want or don't have any passions for specific subjects?
Reply 1
Original post by ebony_7
Best A levels/jobs to do/get when you don't know what job you want or don't have any passions for specific subjects?

Maths especially, the Sciences, English Literature, Languages and humanities like geography or history are generally considered good a levels that can give you a wide range of options (being facilitating subjects). That's because they give you a range of wanted skills like essay writing, general maths skills and knowledge of planning, etc.

If you have completely no idea (obviously it's your choice and others may think differently though) I would personally recommend Mathematics, a science and an essay based subject. If you want you could always do a science or something as an As level and then just do another a level that may interest you, say Product Design.

The reason I say that is because Maths is well respected always and leaves a wide range of routes from Economics to Computer Science. Essay based subjects are also respected for many jobs like Public Relations, Journalism etc. And with a science subject, if you prefer a science these also look good but leave a range of options - e.g. Biology could lead to ecology, conservation, working with animals.

This is notably dependent on your feelings, but this combination gives a wide range of options while also looking good for the future, giving you many skills and such.

If you want to find out more about subjects you can always do virtual work experience with SpringPod, or do some MOOCs to get an idea of what higher level learning in a subject is like? That might help you find a passion.

It's hard to say if there's any jobs as that really requires experimenting, like with what I just mentioned.

I hope this helped! Others will give their own thoughts that you can also consider, and in the end it's up to you, but this is definitely what I would call a base blueprint if you don't know what to do. Best of luck with whatever you do :biggrin:
Reply 2
moss (user above) has given very good advice, but I'd also recommend taking further maths as a 4th (if your school offers it), as long as your comfortable with mathematics as a whole and can see yourself possibly doing STEM in the future, even if your not sure rn. you can drop it later down the line if needed (if taken as a 4th), and it opens up many doors so would put you at an advantage due to its versatility. bare in mind it must be paired with maths (to my knowledge).
Original post by {Moss}
Maths especially, the Sciences, English Literature, Languages and humanities like geography or history are generally considered good a levels that can give you a wide range of options (being facilitating subjects). That's because they give you a range of wanted skills like essay writing, general maths skills and knowledge of planning, etc.

If you have completely no idea (obviously it's your choice and others may think differently though) I would personally recommend Mathematics, a science and an essay based subject. If you want you could always do a science or something as an As level and then just do another a level that may interest you, say Product Design.

The reason I say that is because Maths is well respected always and leaves a wide range of routes from Economics to Computer Science. Essay based subjects are also respected for many jobs like Public Relations, Journalism etc. And with a science subject, if you prefer a science these also look good but leave a range of options - e.g. Biology could lead to ecology, conservation, working with animals.

This is notably dependent on your feelings, but this combination gives a wide range of options while also looking good for the future, giving you many skills and such.

If you want to find out more about subjects you can always do virtual work experience with SpringPod, or do some MOOCs to get an idea of what higher level learning in a subject is like? That might help you find a passion.

It's hard to say if there's any jobs as that really requires experimenting, like with what I just mentioned.

I hope this helped! Others will give their own thoughts that you can also consider, and in the end it's up to you, but this is definitely what I would call a base blueprint if you don't know what to do. Best of luck with whatever you do :biggrin:

Thank you so much!!! For now I have chosen:
French
Biology
Sociology- I regret choosing this and am deciding what to choose instead but I'm not the best at maths so maybe I'll do psychology or another science.
Original post by baziop
moss (user above) has given very good advice, but I'd also recommend taking further maths as a 4th (if your school offers it), as long as your comfortable with mathematics as a whole and can see yourself possibly doing STEM in the future, even if your not sure rn. you can drop it later down the line if needed (if taken as a 4th), and it opens up many doors so would put you at an advantage due to its versatility. bare in mind it must be paired with maths (to my knowledge).

Thank you! Yes I have chosen so far
French
Biology
Sociology
but I am changing Sociology and am not sure what to choose instead I am not the best at maths so maybe another science? Thanks for your reply!
Reply 5
Original post by ebony_7
Thank you so much!!! For now I have chosen:
French
Biology
Sociology- I regret choosing this and am deciding what to choose instead but I'm not the best at maths so maybe I'll do psychology or another science.

No problem! Yep psychology is a good essay based subject to have, although sciences are also good. It might be worth seeing about an AS-level in Maths (or something like Physics which is maths heavy) if you're not the best at it - that looks good but is less heavy for you. Might be something to consider? Just a thought.

Sciences are also really good as a side note, as they leave you with a lot of options for foundation years at university or jobs. Foundation years are good if you wish to look at them, as if you find you don't have the subjects/grades needed for a degree you want (if you go that route) you can do them. Best of luck :biggrin:
Original post by {Moss}
No problem! Yep psychology is a good essay based subject to have, although sciences are also good. It might be worth seeing about an AS-level in Maths (or something like Physics which is maths heavy) if you're not the best at it - that looks good but is less heavy for you. Might be something to consider? Just a thought.

Sciences are also really good as a side note, as they leave you with a lot of options for foundation years at university or jobs. Foundation years are good if you wish to look at them, as if you find you don't have the subjects/grades needed for a degree you want (if you go that route) you can do them. Best of luck :biggrin:

Yes, I was considering physics actually because I also don't really want to do another essay based subject. Thanks for the help!:biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by ebony_7
Thank you! Yes I have chosen so far
French
Biology
Sociology
but I am changing Sociology and am not sure what to choose instead I am not the best at maths so maybe another science? Thanks for your reply!

thats a good mix for someone who isnt sure on what to do in the future! if your changing sociology I'd replace it with another essay subject you like (if you want to do one, if not doesnt matter that much and you can choose another science based subject like physics which has degree of maths), and like moss says AS maths could be something to consider. you can always drop it later and who knows, you may find yourself liking it and wanting to take it further as a full a-level. best of luck!
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending