The Student Room Group

Horrible nursing assessor hasn’t signed documents from 2 months ago

So I had my first clinical 2 months ago in the ward from hell. Horrible people all around my assessor and supervisor ignored me then both went on annual leave. Anyway I have needed my pare documentation signing for 2 months I have emailed multiple times and been ignored I finally managed to get though my phone and told her what needed signing in which she has only done about a quarter off. Luckily it’s the main bits such as proficiences ect but 6 pages are left without a signature. Does anyone know if all pages of pare need signing or just the main ones? Thanks
Original post by Asomehowstudent
So I had my first clinical 2 months ago in the ward from hell. Horrible people all around my assessor and supervisor ignored me then both went on annual leave. Anyway I have needed my pare documentation signing for 2 months I have emailed multiple times and been ignored I finally managed to get though my phone and told her what needed signing in which she has only done about a quarter off. Luckily it’s the main bits such as proficiences ect but 6 pages are left without a signature. Does anyone know if all pages of pare need signing or just the main ones? Thanks

@Emily_B
Unfortunately all your work must be signed off as you are fully responsible for to make sure your supervisor/ assessor or mentor do that at the appropriate time during your current placement.

What was wrong with asking your ward sister or manager to go through it at the time with you when your placement supervisor was on holiday.
The nurses are entitled to there annual leave holiday and they should have put another nurse in charge of you until there return.
When I go on annual leave holiday I put another nurse in charge of my students until I return back and if they didn't sign anything off I would ask that particular nurse why.

A registered midwife.
asked multiple people to do it and they all wouldn’t. All the nurses on the ward were nearly qualified and said they wasn’t allowed to sign anything off for a student. I told people at the university She was on annual leave and none of them did anything to help me. I have emailed her multiple times and she has ignored me and I called the ward and told her what needed to be done and she only did some of it. I have tried.

Original post by Tracey_W
@Emily_B
Unfortunately all your work must be signed off as you are fully responsible for to make sure your supervisor/ assessor or mentor do that at the appropriate time during your current placement.

What was wrong with asking your ward sister or manager to go through it at the time with you when your placement supervisor was on holiday.
The nurses are entitled to there annual leave holiday and they should have put another nurse in charge of you until there return.
When I go on annual leave holiday I put another nurse in charge of my students until I return back and if they didn't sign anything off I would ask that particular nurse why.

A registered midwife.

asked multiple people to do it and they all wouldn’t. All the nurses on the ward were nearly qualified and said they wasn’t allowed to sign anything off for a student. I told people at the university She was on annual leave and none of them did anything to help me. I have emailed her multiple times and she has ignored me and I called the ward and told her what needed to be done and she only did some of it. I have tried.

Both your assessor and supervisor going on annual leave isn't them being mean to you - they probably had this leave booked in long before being assigned as your assessor and supervisor (and this will be a managerial issue that you were assigned to them, not their fault).
For future reference:
- everything needs to be filled in for that placement on your documents.
- ward managers and deputy ward managers can sign your paperwork. They are much more experienced than newly qualified and definitely allowed to sign your paperwork.
- each placement area has people called Practice Education Facilitators (PEFs) - who might go by another name - who are there to ensure that students are supported in practice. These are the sort of people you need to be talking to about these sorts of issues in practice.
Original post by Emily_B
Both your assessor and supervisor going on annual leave isn't them being mean to you - they probably had this leave booked in long before being assigned as your assessor and supervisor (and this will be a managerial issue that you were assigned to them, not their fault).
For future reference:
- everything needs to be filled in for that placement on your documents.
- ward managers and deputy ward managers can sign your paperwork. They are much more experienced than newly qualified and definitely allowed to sign your paperwork.
- each placement area has people called Practice Education Facilitators (PEFs) - who might go by another name - who are there to ensure that students are supported in practice. These are the sort of people you need to be talking to about these sorts of issues in practice.

I have not said they are horrible for having annual leave I said they are horrible for being rude and ignoring me on the wards, ignoring all my calls and emails even after they was due back off their annual leave and having an attitude with me on the phone. The ward manager and deputy on my ward were not actively on the ward to see me doing anything they was always sat in a private office doing whatever work they do so wouldn’t sign anything as they had not seen me do anything. I have spoken to the pefs and they haven’t done anything. I have emailed my assessor again today but has been told she has quit that ward so I doubt I’ll have any luck at all. Something needs to be sorted I have passed everything so surely I can’t be failed for missing signatures that isn’t even my fault. I’ve literally emailed so many people and spoke to so many people and had 0 results

Hello @Asomehowstudent

I hope you're well. This seems to be such an unfortunate situation, it's so hard getting your paperwork signed off sometimes! I would say find out when she is on the ward and let her know you are coming in to get the remaining signatures. The way I think, if there is a line for a signature, a signature needs to be there - it is best to be safe than sorry!

Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Reply 6
What happened in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending