The Student Room Group

Failed an In-retrieval Placement at First Year (BCU STUDENT)

I have just completed a 3 week in-year retrieval placement and was short of 10 proficiencies to be signed off. I did not get to go to the first block of placement which was (8 weeks) due to not being cleared. This only counts as my ONLY placement where as every other student had 2 parts AND I only went to One in June . The agreed progression decision is a (RESIT Board) does this mean I have to re-take the entire year again or will I be able to just repeat the failed module and move to second year in January? I am studying nursing at Birmingham City University

Can someone please explain
Reply 1
Original post by ANabel2245
I have just completed a 3 week in-year retrieval placement and was short of 10 proficiencies to be signed off. I did not get to go to the first block of placement which was (8 weeks) due to not being cleared. This only counts as my ONLY placement where as every other student had 2 parts AND I only went to One in June . The agreed progression decision is a (RESIT Board) does this mean I have to re-take the entire year again or will I be able to just repeat the failed module and move to second year in January? I am studying nursing at Birmingham City University

Can someone please explain

It's very much university dependant. I've known students be able to carry over a few proficiencies, but that's where they've passed everything else required and there's reason to be allowed to carry this over.
It is all very university dependent, you may be able to carry this over but you may have to drop back 6-12 months.
It's a requirement that proficiencies must be signed off. Only getting a 3 week placement/ required 8 weeks originally is kinda bad on the university's part. If your doing adult nursing you won't have much of a problem getting signed off. Like for me I have all my main stuff and what is required of this year signed off there was just one 1 document with two ticks that might need to be signed off which the university or my academic assessor didn't explain to everyone. In general guidance and support behind the whole placement sign off is awful experience for students, as the RNs don't want to give students time or your just abuse on the wards to do HCA duties.
Reply 3
Original post by FalloutZappy
It's a requirement that proficiencies must be signed off. Only getting a 3 week placement/ required 8 weeks originally is kinda bad on the university's part. If your doing adult nursing you won't have much of a problem getting signed off. Like for me I have all my main stuff and what is required of this year signed off there was just one 1 document with two ticks that might need to be signed off which the university or my academic assessor didn't explain to everyone. In general guidance and support behind the whole placement sign off is awful experience for students, as the RNs don't want to give students time or your just abuse on the wards to do HCA duties.

It's not that nurses don't want to give students time (mostly, though there are a few social hand grenades out there), it's that they're spread so thinly or are so busy that they don't have the time or headspace for students. Agree on the being abused as HCAs, students have been used as a means to prop up service provision and it's not right or fair, it's yet another sign of a collapsing health service that can't staff it's wards properly. If students weren't used to prop up the service and had quality placements there would be no need for them to have to to so many hours in practice IMO.

@ANabel2245

To bring it bck to the OP's question, as Emily said, you'll have to ask the staff at BCU as to how it will work. I imagine they'll bring you back with the next cohort (so if you're a Sept 22 student you'll possibly join Mar 23), at what point they put you back in I don't know, as it will depend on if you need to retake any modules or anything.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending