The Student Room Group

Can you fail Nursing placement for lack of confidence?

Hi,
I am a third year Adult Nursing student. I am currently on placement and my placement has made contact with my university assessor with some concerns that apparently around my “lack of confidence”. I am aware that I am not the most confident person but I was very open about the reason behind this which is due to my past placements where I had assessors who didn’t want to be assessors and would make snap unfair judgements on me. These concerns came as a shock to me as I have had some lovely feedback from families and patients about how they think I’m doing well and will be a good nurse. Despite the positive feedback I am worried I will fail placement for my lack of confidence and I think my confidence won’t get better until I’m qualified and in a permanent job position as every placement is so different.
Hey, :bird:

I am sorry that you are having some difficulties with your placement.

Many people struggle with their confidence especially when in a new environment. However, placements are going to be challenging at times and are meant to push you outside of your comfort zone.

I would advise you speak to your placement assessors and university assessor to explain how you are feeling and they should put some support in place to help you with your confidence.

Remember you are a third year student and have many great skills and knowledge already that is valuable on placements. The feedback that you have received proves this, try and recognise the positives.

To help improve your confidence you could on every placement set yourself a challenge that will push you outside of your comfort zone. However, remember to be kind to yourself.

I hope this helps :smartass:
Hi there,

Current nursing student here!

I am sorry that you're having a bad experience, and upon reflection of the NMC Code and my practice document, the only issue low confidence would bring would be an inability to speak up about issues, be it with staff or for your advocating for your patients. Another example would be if you were unsure about medications, which have the potential to cause an issue. However, if you're competent in both and feel this is just a personal attack and that this is not a true reflection of your practice, I highly recommend contacting your Practice Education Facilitator or the appointed members of staff for placement at university, and doing so as soon as possible.

Hopefully this gets resolved for you

Nat
Original post by Rosie01x
Hi,
I am a third year Adult Nursing student. I am currently on placement and my placement has made contact with my university assessor with some concerns that apparently around my “lack of confidence”. I am aware that I am not the most confident person but I was very open about the reason behind this which is due to my past placements where I had assessors who didn’t want to be assessors and would make snap unfair judgements on me. These concerns came as a shock to me as I have had some lovely feedback from families and patients about how they think I’m doing well and will be a good nurse. Despite the positive feedback I am worried I will fail placement for my lack of confidence and I think my confidence won’t get better until I’m qualified and in a permanent job position as every placement is so different.

Hi Rosie,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having some issues with placement.

As others have mentioned the only reason confidence would be a concern is if you were unable to advocate for your patient's best needs in situations such as an MDT setting. You also need to be confident enough in your clinical decision-making in order to achieve the best outcomes for you and your patients,

If however, you feel that this isn't the case, I would recommend speaking to your assessor and university link to ask how they would recommend you improve your confidence in a SMART goal way, so that it is measurable when you have achieved better confidence. If your assessor doesn't want to do this then I would recommend contacting your undergraduate team and asking for some support on their part as to how to resolve this issue as 3rd year is vitally important in getting your qualification and you need to be proactive about resolving any concerns but also need support where possible.

I hope this is of some assistance and best of luck in your final year!

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending