The Student Room Group

A level Edexcel mechanics

. A woman is cycling along a straight road. She starts cycling from rest. For the first 6 seconds the she rides with a constant acceleration of 1.5 ms−2. She then rides at constant speed for the next T seconds before decelerating uniformly and coming to rest after travelling for 25 seconds altogether.
a) Given that the total distance travelled is 180 m, find the value of T.
b) Draw a velocity−time graph for the woman’s journey.
Reply 1
Original post by Jjgbert
. A woman is cycling along a straight road. She starts cycling from rest. For the first 6 seconds the she rides with a constant acceleration of 1.5 ms−2. She then rides at constant speed for the next T seconds before decelerating uniformly and coming to rest after travelling for 25 seconds altogether.
a) Given that the total distance travelled is 180 m, find the value of T.
b) Draw a velocity−time graph for the woman’s journey.

What have you tried so far? Personally I would have thought that part (b) would actually help in answering part (a) but I haven't tried to work the question through to see if there is a shortcut :smile:
Absolutely agree, do the vt diagram first.
The way the question presented, you have some suvat equation to use for each stage and with one unknown T. You may not know s for an individual stage bit they add up to 180. I guess this is what was expected.

Quick Reply

Latest