The Student Room Group

University of Nottingham Economics

Hi, I am a student applying to the University of Nottingham for Economics. I wanted to ask any current or previous students about the course.

What is the course like?

How much maths is involved and would anyone who didn`t do A-level maths struggle?

How many students are there in the course?

What are the careers prospects?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
I do economics and politics at Nottingham and didn't do maths A-level. Economics without maths is clearly making life difficult but it is very manageable. Having said that, maths was always one of my favourite subjects at school, I just didn't do it at A-level (9 at GCSE). So if you like maths and did well in GCSE, just didn't take it for A-level, you will be fine. Maybe consider a joint honor degree, such as politics and economics, as this way you can avoid all econometrics / highly-mathematical modules. In terms of the course itself, I think its strong - plenty of options and less maths-based modules available, such as behavioural econ or political economy. Hopefully this is helpful.
Reply 2
Original post by Greg567
I do economics and politics at Nottingham and didn't do maths A-level. Economics without maths is clearly making life difficult but it is very manageable. Having said that, maths was always one of my favourite subjects at school, I just didn't do it at A-level (9 at GCSE). So if you like maths and did well in GCSE, just didn't take it for A-level, you will be fine. Maybe consider a joint honor degree, such as politics and economics, as this way you can avoid all econometrics / highly-mathematical modules. In terms of the course itself, I think its strong - plenty of options and less maths-based modules available, such as behavioural econ or political economy. Hopefully this is helpful.

It is, Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending