The Student Room Group

Which psychology path is best for me?

I want to work with children after I leave uni but I am not sure on what career path will be best for this. Educational psychology?
Original post by psy2023
I want to work with children after I leave uni but I am not sure on what career path will be best for this. Educational psychology?

Educational Psychology will certainly allow (well, require) you to work with children. You'd potentially be based in a school or other educational setting. Is that something which appeals? Alternatively, you might fulfill a similar role, but working privately.
Original post by psy2023

@psy2023

It really does depend how you want to work with children. If you want to be a teacher most people do a degree and then go on and do a year of teacher training like a PGCE - I did this but did the one to teach in a post 16 environment. If you want to be an educational psychologist you will have to do doctorate level study which people typically do after a Masters (although you don't technically need a masters to get onto it, but due to the competition for places I think one would be best).

There are a lot of teaching assistant jobs around at the moment - they are relatively low paid though but they might be good work experience to get you ahead of some of the competition.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Teaching children = Teacher
Supporting academic achievement = Ed Psych
Supporting children's mental health and wellbeing = Clinical Psych, Child Therapist, Educational Mental Health Practitioner etc
Original post by psy2023
Hi!
A psychology degree will give you a head-start into a lot of different child related areas. For example, you could go on to complete a PGCE and become a teacher, an educational psychology MSc/PhD to work in other more specific areas of education, developmental psychology MSc/PhD (work with children in a different setting possibly outside of education). You could also pursue other careers such as youth work, social work, SEN work, etc. You won't need to narrow down your decision until second or third year though.
Best of luck with the future!
-Kat (2nd year psychology student at Lancaster University)

Quick Reply

Latest