The Student Room Group

deleted

(edited 10 months ago)
Like you said, there are many options with a psychology degree! The key for you degree to be "useful" is to have a passion for it! Depending on where you applied you can see the modules the university offers and from there see what careers paths this can relate to.
There are also plenty of jobs where higher education is required but they're not subject specific.
As a student who does international relations and international business I also get the occasional "isn't this a waste of time?" comments, but to me every moment learning these topic helps me grow as a human and lends itself to my passions and possible career paths.
So basically, look at yourself, your passions, possible career paths and what makes you happy. If you see psychology as a degree helping you with all of those then this is the right choice for you!

Hope this helps
~Michelle, placement student
Original post by spliced
Will I regret picking psychology for uni? So many people have said they regret taking psychology and that it is the most useless degree- is this true? Psychology is the only course I have a genuine interest in, and I love the subject at a level. I always thought that if I took it for uni, after I graduated I had options and could either continue my studies (eg get a masters in something like cognitive neuroscience), or I could go into HR, marketing, finance etc. Should I just opt for something else instead ? But even then my options are limited as the only other ‘science’ I take is maths. Naturally, I am more creative, but I am capable in STEM (but not enough to want to pursue medicine, engineering etc). What degrees are actually useful? Or is it more so just getting a degree is important for employers?

BA Psychology is mostly not needed but a BSc Psychology is very, very useful and it will continue to be useful for many years to come, psychology is a very good subject for postgrad studies and like the BSc, it will be very useful in the future. Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest