The Student Room Group

I've Had Enough and Don't Know What To Do

Hi Everyone,
I'm in Year 8 for context.

I've been classified as "gifted" since Primary School, my reading level has always been a few years ahead and from the end of Primary I was a few years ahead in Maths too.

I'm in secondary now, and I started off really well, winning awards, getting high grades, topping my classes. But now everything is starting to go wrong.

I'm slipping behind, I'm no longer topping all of my classes, I completely flunked the Junior Maths Challenge even though I spent six months revising, I'm no longer the best at anything, someone is always better than me at everything and it's so frustrating.

I have no motivation anymore. Everyone always thinks that it's hilarious when someone gets an 8+ and I get an 8-, when I get a 98 and my friend gets 100. I feel completely worthless, I don't really have anything apart from school and chess in which I'm both progressively getting worse. It seems like no matter how hard I try I will never be good enough, I lost a chess tournament I was predicted to win by someone who was lower rated than me, probably the first domino to fall.

What do I do? I need to get back on track. I really do not want to burn out but my academic validation is really slipping and it's so painful. I feel physically sick.

Sorry for the long post, I needed to get if off my chest.
This kind of happened to me too, and the way I dealt with it was by focusing on the things I liked and enjoyed, and letting other things take second priority. I know it sounds counterintuitive for doing better but by stretching yourself out too thin you’re making it worse, and causing burnout. Also, it still sounds like you’re doing really well and you don’t need to be the best at everything, only the things you actually care about. Obviously you still need to do your best in other subjects, but you don’t need to BE the best out of everyone. My best advice is try to relax a little and bring the fun into school again, you’re only in year 8 and it’ll help your mental health and your mindset so much, which in turn will bring back your motivation for school.
Reply 2
Original post by Jam12345
This kind of happened to me too, and the way I dealt with it was by focusing on the things I liked and enjoyed, and letting other things take second priority. I know it sounds counterintuitive for doing better but by stretching yourself out too thin you’re making it worse, and causing burnout. Also, it still sounds like you’re doing really well and you don’t need to be the best at everything, only the things you actually care about. Obviously you still need to do your best in other subjects, but you don’t need to BE the best out of everyone. My best advice is try to relax a little and bring the fun into school again, you’re only in year 8 and it’ll help your mental health and your mindset so much, which in turn will bring back your motivation for school.

The things I enjoy are the things I'm failing at. I find it really hard to enjoy them if I'm failing.
In that case, maybe try getting back to the roots of why you actually like the subjects and activities and try to base your merit less in winning competitions and coming out on top, and more in how you feel about what you are doing and not what others say about your scores/competitions ext. I know it feels like the end of the world right now, but trust me as someone who went through the same thing that it’s not, and if you focus on yourself, stress less and give yourself time to breathe, it’ll pass.
Reply 4
Original post by Jam12345
In that case, maybe try getting back to the roots of why you actually like the subjects and activities and try to base your merit less in winning competitions and coming out on top, and more in how you feel about what you are doing and not what others say about your scores/competitions ext. I know it feels like the end of the world right now, but trust me as someone who went through the same thing that it’s not, and if you focus on yourself, stress less and give yourself time to breathe, it’ll pass.

It sounds silly but I want to be the best to be able to enjoy it.
Original post by EnigmaChess
It sounds silly but I want to be the best to be able to enjoy it.

Unfortunately that’s not a sustainable way to view success or enjoyment, your never goi be to always be the best and you need to enjoy thing for yourself to be motivated for the long-term. I do get where you’re coming from though, it can be really difficult.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 6
Hi Everyone,

I've been classified as "gifted" since Primary School, my reading level has always been a few years ahead and from the end of Primary I was a few years ahead in Maths too.

I'm in secondary now, and I started off really well, winning awards, getting high grades, topping my classes. But now everything is starting to go wrong.

I'm slipping behind, I'm no longer topping all of my classes, I completely flunked the Junior Maths Challenge even though I spent six months revising, I'm no longer the best at anything, someone is always better than me at everything and it's so frustrating.

I have no motivation anymore. Everyone always thinks that it's hilarious when someone gets an 8+ and I get an 8-, when I get a 98 and my friend gets 100. I feel completely worthless, I don't really have anything apart from school and chess in which I'm both progressively getting worse. It seems like no matter how hard I try I will never be good enough, I lost a chess tournament I was predicted to win by someone who was lower rated than me, probably the first domino to fall.

What do I do? I need to get back on track. I really do not want to burn out but my academic validation is really slipping and it's so painful. I feel physically sick.

Focus on yourself not what others are getting/doing. The JMC doesn;t correlate wth being great at Maths - one of my students who is a post-doc researcher in Maths never even got a bronze.

School is just a part of life - try to enjoy it more and success will follow.
Reply 7
I agree with the person who commented above about the maths challenge! I'm in year 11 and have always been strangely good at the maths challenge, whereas my friend who is a lot better at maths than me has never done very well in it. I think it tests a particular way of thinking, more like thinking more abstractly of ways to solve problems rather than more methodical ways taught and used in the school curriculum? I'm not sure though.

And if you're getting 98 out of 100 that's very good in my opinion. When you do GCSEs, they're not graded by percentage, you get given a number grade of 1-9, 9 being the best. So someone with 90% could get exactly the same grade as someone with 100% and no one would ever know the difference. Also I've found that grades go up and down a bit in life - for example when I was in the start of year 10, I used to get 21/30 on a GCSE english essay, but then half way through year 11 I did a mock and got 20/30. I felt so awful because I thought I was just going backwards and would fail my GCSE. However, today I got back a different english essay and I got 30/34. So I think it is possible to get worse and then a lot better.

Sorry this is probably not very helpful but it's my experience. :smile: Hang in there, you've got ages to go until examinations like GCSE where the grades will matter. There will always be someone in the world who is better at something than you but as long as you do your best, that's fine! My best advice would be just to keep trying and working hard, and you might find you improve a lot. If you really want to be ahead still, you could maybe even look at the GCSE curriculum (assuming your school does GCSEs).
Hi Everyone,

Hi, I completely relate, there have been so many times I felt like all my revision was worthless and for absolutely nothing. Sometimes, I still feel that way: e.g: one time I spent 2 weeks revising for a geography test and they changed it to a new topic two days before, so I put my head down and worked my socks off - I ended up getting less than 50% and my friend who didn't revise at all got over 70%, I thought I had written the test well but turns out the opposite. Don't resort to feeling bitter though, keep going and finding out what you can do for yourself, see if you can change the way you revise and be more effectively studying and know that you will no longer feel this way soon, your efforts will be worth it at some point - you will be the successful one and people will look up to you!
Hi Everyone,

I know this sounds silly and quite obvious, but you shouldn't compare yourself to others. There will always be people who are better at things than you are, and that is something you have to accept. You also shouldn't value yourself on academics, it will not matter when you are an adult, no one will care how you did in Year 8. You should still work hard, but not so hard you burn yourself out, and make sure you make time for the things you enjoy and spend time with friends and family.
Hi Everyone,

You need to chill your putting too much pressure on yourself and an 8 is still a good mark. obviously in seconded school there will be people who get better marks than you al through your life. Your burning out and you need a good long break it’s summer in 9 weeks time and you also have half term in 13 days take this time to recharge enjoy any holidays you have planned and come back refreshed in September and relax you don’t have to work all the time you’ll be ok.

Quick Reply

Latest