The Student Room Group

Need some advice

I like my course as a whole if someone were to ask me, it offers some interesting things but I've been utterly miserable in the 2 weeks I've been at school in the second year. I commute and yeah it's exhausting but it's not only that. The degree suddenly doesn't seem so great anymore. I keep wishing I never did it, wishing I could be anywhere else except in that classroom learning about something that does intrigues me but it's like I have zero interest in it. It's as if I picked this at the wrong time of my life.

To be honest, I've kinda wanted to drop my course since the middle of my first year when my mental health dipped but I ignored that and soldiered on because it was just shameful. And because I still live with my parents and I want to move desperately but they put me down so much that I couldn't. I kept thinking something bad would happen and had an anxiety attack about it so I'm still here. They don't know about any of it because we don't talk like that. I thought doing a degree would be my only chance to get out. And maybe figure out what I want. The ironic thing is that it's left me more confused.

To top it all off, I'm the only one in my family who's doing a Humanities related degree (I think) and fought to do it but I can't stomach it. Any of it, when I'm surrounded by people who've done something with their lives, especially with this placement module I'm doing and they're so educated whereas I wasted most my teenage years depressed, caving in on myself. I haven't told anyone about it fully because I don't want pity and it's embarrassing. I haven't gotten help for it and sometimes it creeps back or maybe it's still there. I hate thinking about it.

So, I'm here, thinking, is there any point in me doing this degree? I run on autopilot trying to get through it. I don't think about it and when I do it's overwhelming so I shut down because is there anything even in it for me? What the hell am I going to do as a career? I just don't get how anyone can stick to one thing their whole life even my choices of degrees and A levels were random because I wanted to check out my options with the little energy I had back then for anything. I feel like I've locked myself into something certain that I'm unsure about and I have zero energy for any hobbies or interests outside of this obligation I have and I'm even failing at that.

I only did this because I thought I had no option and taking a gap year had my parents freaked and I didn't want them to get on my case more than they already do. No one was there to help me and 'university is the only thing that'll get you anywhere'.

Dropping out seems terrifying at this point and to be honest expensive especially in this economy and I believe I can make this work somehow but it's as if I'm stuck in an impossible situation and it's eating me up inside. Deadlines that are months away are freaking me out and I'm spiralling about this and basically everything. I feel like mental health might get worse because of all this. I really don't know what to do.
Hi there,

I chose to study law at university and I got to a point, where I questioned if I am intelligent enough for this degree. I would be achieving decent grades yet my course mates around me would be achieving better grades than me making me feel unintelligent. I originally wanted to study architecture or complete a course in relation to arts and design, however my parents convinced me that if I complete a degree which is has a high academic status and is highly respected, then it will open doors for me. First few weeks into university in my first year, made me want to quit although I had already paid £9250. I even struggled to interact with my lecturers, with the feeling that I was not good enough to interact with them.

However this all changed when I started committing myself to activities and applying for roles within the university, such as becoming a student ambassador. By doing so, I met so many wonderful people and was able to open up to my peers about how I lack confidence and have terrible social skills yet wish to leave my comfort zone and widen my horizon. By opening up to my peers, they actually made me realise that I am in fact doing better than expected. I realised that university isn't about just completing a degree and getting a job, but it's about making yourself likeable in general and making connections. I realised that the previous generation could only rely on their university degree to get a job, however now, for the current generation, it's about making yourself a likeable person, especially in a job interview. They want to know what you did during university apart from simply studying for a degree. You're better of getting a 2:2 on your degree as long as you're able to demonstrate that you committed yourself to other activities, which you're passionate about and this passion of yours could be literally anything.

Honestly though, it also depends on the university as well. I attend Coventry University and each student is allocated a student success coach, who is basically like a therapist, where you can go and speak to them whenever you want, and I mean you could speak to them about anything and they won't judge you at all. I do wish I could see you in person and tell you that you're not alone.

I really don't know if my comments will help you as I am terrible with providing advice to individuals, but I can definitely understand how you're feeling.

Best wishes,

Narusha
Coventry University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending