The Student Room Group

Does university increase employability ?

Does it?
People speak about “graduate prospects” but what does this really mean- and do you get better jobs simply because of your university?
(edited 9 months ago)
It does not. Unfortunately I was the one who fell for this scam as well. Employers don't give a crap about your uni. It is mainly your work experience and what skills you develop through uni that matters the most. If you leave university with zero experience or skills, be prepared for a long long journey in job hunting. For my first graduate job my employer didn't even ask to prove that I have a degree. All I did was some psychometric tests and had a one to one interview. That's why you should spend as much time as possible upskilling and trying to forget about uni or degree prestige because none of that really matters. If you can, definitely look for an internship. A degree with a placement is also better than just an ordinary degree. Anything to get work experience. Also, it depends on your course more than the university. If you're someone who wants to work as an engineer for example, then obviously an engineering degree from somewhere like Sheffield is going more valuable than a sociology degree at Cambridge, no matter how much prestige Cambridge might bring.

People who say that uni matters are either still at sixth-form and are being brainwashed by parents and teachers believing that a degree from prestigious uni will give them a golden ticket to a million dollar job or they haven't been fortunate enough to find a job after university, so they blame their university rather than their lack of preparation for interviews or lack of skills. :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending