The Student Room Group

A-Level tips?

Kinda screwed my GCSEs, but want to ace my A-Levels. They say you're meant to study a good few hours (btw, how many? I'm doing 4 subjects, and would like to get as many A*s as possible) each week, but what does this entail? Is it just, consolidating and going over the topic that you did on that day/in that week? And if so - when are you meant to start, considering the fact that you won't learn much in the first few weeks?

Also - what are you meant to do with frees (even though I'll probably not have many)? I've heard a lot of people say they regret messing about in them, but I don't know what I'm meant to do to make them productive other than just standard revision.

On top of all that, I'm just generally unsure on how to use the first weeks of Year 12 when we wouldn't have learned that much already.
Original post by examcrammer156
Kinda screwed my GCSEs, but want to ace my A-Levels. They say you're meant to study a good few hours (btw, how many? I'm doing 4 subjects, and would like to get as many A*s as possible) each week, but what does this entail? Is it just, consolidating and going over the topic that you did on that day/in that week? And if so - when are you meant to start, considering the fact that you won't learn much in the first few weeks?

Also - what are you meant to do with frees (even though I'll probably not have many)? I've heard a lot of people say they regret messing about in them, but I don't know what I'm meant to do to make them productive other than just standard revision.

On top of all that, I'm just generally unsure on how to use the first weeks of Year 12 when we wouldn't have learned that much already.

I guess it depends on what four subjects you are taking.
Have a look at the whole of this thread and you should be able to find a number of useful posts: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&page=2#post97549790

hey i’m pretty much in the same position as you. my teachers say frees r for homework/revision or your EPQ. what subject ru doing?
Original post by amelia5757
hey i’m pretty much in the same position as you. my teachers say frees r for homework/revision or your EPQ. what subject ru doing?

Maths, Further Maths, Physics, German... hbu?
Maths, Further Maths, Physics, German... hbu?

history economics physiology and biology

I've just finished Year 13. What I would say is yes I wasted most of my frees after a while but i would say DEF use at least some of these times to make flashcards. For Sociology, I would make flashcards every week of the topics we'd done and it SAVES YOUR LIFE. I was rushing to make flashcards for my other subjects by the end of y13 but had all my sociology ones ready. It's probs gonna be unrealistic that you'll never waste a free and yeah tbf those first few weeks I didn't see much point in using them. My college set independent study tasks so I'd use those frees to complete that. I think that everyone is different when it comes to revision/work time. I worked myself wayyyy too hard at certain times. For some lessons you might feel that you don't need to use your frees for it but others you might need to focus on them more. Also, don't worry if you aren't immediately getting A*s in your subjects. The first few weeks are really about settling in but the stuff you learn then is still important so though you might not learn LOADS, do try get it all down. Can also be useful to work out just how you're going to organise your notes and resources. At school I was so disorganised but you really have to get more organised at college because you need to keep your notes

Quick Reply

Latest