The Student Room Group

Transfer to Medicine from Biomedical Sciences with not the best A level grades

Just a quick question, when transferring to Medicine from Biomedical Sciences or courses which allow the transfer, are A level grades looked at? In the case a person does not recieve the best grades, should they retake the alevels, they didnt do as well on?
If not, does alevel grades impact a medical doctor in the future?
Depends on the uni in question. I imagine they'll predominantly be looking at your first years results, but I'd just be guessing as each uni has its own procedure.
Original post by V3N0Mxx
Just a quick question, when transferring to Medicine from Biomedical Sciences or courses which allow the transfer, are A level grades looked at? In the case a person does not recieve the best grades, should they retake the alevels, they didnt do as well on?

Most of the BMS-medicine transfer schemes I've seen require you meet all the standard entry requirements for the medicine course just to be eligible for the scheme, and then be within the top 10 (not %, I mean actual individuals) or so within your BMS cohort grade wise to have any realistic chance of being competitive. So they still require you to meet all the A-level grade requirements, UCAT/BMAT requirements, still need to go through the same interviews etc.

Note that there is a reason these transfer schemes are not recommended - it's becuase as above, you still need to do everything to meet the requirements as if you were just a gap year requirement, but you need to also beat out the ~150+ other students on the course all vying for the same 1-5 spots on the medical degree. It's literally not only fewer spaces that you're applying to, but you need to achieve twice as many sets of results (your school leaving ones AND the first year ones).

You would be far better off just taking a gap year and resitting, as you almost certainly won't be successful through any BMS-med transfer scheme I'm aware of, unless there are specific ones for those with contextual criteria under consideration and you meet those criteria (Bradford is the only one I can think of).

Original post by Admit-One
Depends on the uni in question. I imagine they'll predominantly be looking at your first years results, but I'd just be guessing as each uni has its own procedure.

For medicine transfer schemes as far as I'm aware as above they normally consider the full school leaving criteria and require applicants to do exceptionally well in the first year. Or at least, state they expect you to have met all the original criteria for the medical degree regardless to be eligible for the transfer scheme.
Original post by artful_lounger
Most of the BMS-medicine transfer schemes I've seen require you meet all the standard entry For medicine transfer schemes as far as I'm aware as above they normally consider the full school leaving criteria and require applicants to do exceptionally well in the first year. Or at least, state they expect you to have met all the original criteria for the medical degree regardless to be eligible for the transfer scheme.

Thanks for the heads up. I was aware they are very competitive and not recommended, (it's usually a duff option as you are limiting yourself to a single choice rather than 4), but not the specific criteria that they select on.
Reply 4
Original post by V3N0Mxx

Depends on the university and how you performed. But if I’m being honest, you need to worry about getting the top grades first. I’m someone who did this route and was successful and my grades were ABC in biology chemistry and maths respectively. So for me it didn’t matter too much. But I suggest you concentrate on yourself first. I personally messed up A-levels cos I was lazy and revised 2 weeks before exams. But my GCSE were straight A*/As with absolutely 0 revision, so I knew I had the ability but I had to change and put in the hard work. No point getting worked up over something out of your control.
Reply 5
Original post by A.B HTR
Depends on the university and how you performed. But if I’m being honest, you need to worry about getting the top grades first. I’m someone who did this route and was successful and my grades were ABC in biology chemistry and maths respectively. So for me it didn’t matter too much. But I suggest you concentrate on yourself first. I personally messed up A-levels cos I was lazy and revised 2 weeks before exams. But my GCSE were straight A*/As with absolutely 0 revision, so I knew I had the ability but I had to change and put in the hard work. No point getting worked up over something out of your control.

This is exactly me. I had the top grades, all 8 and 9's at GCSE, but I feel as I have messed up my A levels this year with the lack of revision this year and as you have said, I was also lazy at GCSE's. So If this summer I dont get the grades (I was predicted ABB this year) in the summer this year, I will retake and probably apply according to which universities accept resit alevels. May I ask did u retake A-levels or just straight on went through the route with the transfer?
Reply 6
Original post by V3N0Mxx
This is exactly me. I had the top grades, all 8 and 9's at GCSE, but I feel as I have messed up my A levels this year with the lack of revision this year and as you have said, I was also lazy at GCSE's. So If this summer I dont get the grades (I was predicted ABB this year) in the summer this year, I will retake and probably apply according to which universities accept resit alevels. May I ask did u retake A-levels or just straight on went through the route with the transfer?

My situation was a bit messed up. So I didn’t retake A-levels. Even then I wouldn’t advise this, despite what universities say they will take into this into account to judge your character and would want a valid reason. I got in via transfer, but I was fortunate as my grades were not the best but enough for the threshold, but my ability in interview got me through and the fact I was able to display behaviours and mannerisms they were looking for. My experience was not up to par bar a 2 week Gp work experience. I was able to win over my interviewer with a display of intellect outside the subject, how I presented myself and my ability to think quick and solve problems and using emotional intelligence in the stations. It’s a lot more that just your grades, it about your commitment and suitability for being a doctor.
Reply 7
Original post by A.B HTR

I'm in the same sort of situation, i have an offer for this sep bc my gcses and interview were good but don't think ill get the grades because i just didn't revise well enough so now I'm thinking of transfer to medicine options through clearing. Although I have a question - now that I'm looking at these courses, does that mean I'll have to do ucat this summer too?
Reply 8
Original post by Sona0424
I'm in the same sort of situation, i have an offer for this sep bc my gcses and interview were good but don't think ill get the grades because i just didn't revise well enough so now I'm thinking of transfer to medicine options through clearing. Although I have a question - now that I'm looking at these courses, does that mean I'll have to do ucat this summer too?

literally me, im doing the UCAT this summer as well! wish i had actually focused this year and revised instead of being lazy, but thats a lesson that I have learnt. However dont lose hope you might get the results! Dreading for results day but good luck! got my fingers crossed for you!
Reply 9
Original post by V3N0Mxx
literally me, im doing the UCAT this summer as well! wish i had actually focused this year and revised instead of being lazy, but thats a lesson that I have learnt. However dont lose hope you might get the results! Dreading for results day but good luck! got my fingers crossed for you!

thank you, and good luck too with both results and ucat!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending