The Student Room Group

Were you ever in a set that you aren't meant to be in in school?

I was in set 6 for science doing single science foundation when I should be in set 5 doing double science higher
Original post by Anony345533
I was in set 6 for science doing single science foundation when I should be in set 5 doing double science higher
Hi there,

I was in similar circumstances before. I think it's important to be transparent with your teachers whilst showing that you're still wanting to do the work. Speak with your classroom teacher and ask for the set 5 work you're missing out on, then I would go and speak to either the head of science or your head of year and ask about changing.

That's the first step to take and hopefully if your current work is good and you're finding it easy then you should be moved to the right set for you pretty quickly.
Original post by Yipiyap_EthanP
Hi there,
I was in similar circumstances before. I think it's important to be transparent with your teachers whilst showing that you're still wanting to do the work. Speak with your classroom teacher and ask for the set 5 work you're missing out on, then I would go and speak to either the head of science or your head of year and ask about changing.
That's the first step to take and hopefully if your current work is good and you're finding it easy then you should be moved to the right set for you pretty quickly.
It is easy but I find combined science easy, I am not good at single separate papers, so one paper assessing biology one with physics and one with chemistry. Yes its out of lower marks (marks out of 60 and combined science out of 90) but I do well in combined where I am not assessed on every science but all in one exam. My class like separate papers they can't handle combined science.

I chose to go down sets so from set 5 to 6, higher to foundation and double to single science. I left due to potential bullying.
Original post by Anony345533
It is easy but I find combined science easy, I am not good at single separate papers, so one paper assessing biology one with physics and one with chemistry. Yes its out of lower marks (marks out of 60 and combined science out of 90) but I do well in combined where I am not assessed on every science but all in one exam. My class like separate papers they can't handle combined science.
I chose to go down sets so from set 5 to 6, higher to foundation and double to single science. I left due to potential bullying.
Sorry to hear about the reasons you decided the change would be helpful to you.

I still think, if you're unhappy with your lessons and the content and want to do higher work, that you should speak with the head of science about it. It's always good to go to teachers with a solid foundation for why it is you want to move in the first place, so asking your classroom teacher for the higher and double content will stand you in good stead for those conversations.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest