The Student Room Group

Burnout and Falling Grades

I live in Hong Kong and in my school, we don't do the IGCSEs, but do the HKDSE curriculum, then start the AS Level curriculum in the middle of Grade 10. Ever since I started the AS Level curriculum, I have been feeling extremely burnt out, with no motivation to study. I find other things to do in place of studying like joining more extra curricular activities. I know this is bad, but my mental health is deteriorating alongside my grades, and I don't trust anyone to tell this to. I used to be the top student in my year group, and my family wishes for me to get into a good university, but I don't think I will be able to if this issue continues. What do I do, how can I get my grades back up again D:
Reply 1
I assume that "family" means your parents and you don't want them to worry because of your situation and would like to keep it under wraps. I suggest confiding in your siblings. Exercise sacrifice, appreciation and recognition but these follow the awareness of taking breaks - the key to attaining the best possible results.

Sacrifice - replace things you know are time wasters with things promoting growth.
Appreciation - recall all your achievements, the effort you put in and the support of your parents and friends
Recognition - to be aware and accept your current situation and to plan for the future

You will need to take at least five days off and do the things that you enjoy to relieve yourself of the burnout you are experiencing. During this time you can create a plan focusing on all aspects of your life which will promote your knowledge and wellbeing. I can't stress fixing your sleep schedule. Sleeping is key to consolidating the information you have acquired, and revitalising you for the next day.

Eat healthily and take a walk outside. A healthy body means a healthy mind, and vice versa. Going outside is therapeutic and don't make excuses for not taking a walk for at least 30mins every other day. There are days where you can snack on as a reward but overall, try to have a healthy diet to nourish your brain and body.

After your five-day break from revision, execute the plan you have made and try to stick to it. Be realistic and take the necessary breaks. Don't listen to the "don't stop even if you're tired/sleepy" but also learn to differentiate between laziness and tiredness. Get up and walk around during breaks. Stretch and let your eyes relax by looking at near and far objects for a good minute. Hot chocolate and some snacks might be a nice way to let your body know it's done well.

I hope this helps but deep down, you know what to do. Breathe and always believe that you can conquer your thoughts and fears. You are a bright person, don't let your internal thoughts best you.

Quick Reply

Latest