The Student Room Group

please help.

having serious issues concentrating when studying, and it's really starting to bug me, seriously.
I'm on an apprenticeship, and work full time alongside studying. I have no issues taking rest or managing my time, but when it comes to studying, I struggle to focus on my work.

Often, I'll sit at the computer all day (literally all day, 10+ hours), and achieve 5% of what I want to do. Don't know why, I have a passion for my subject, I don't find the work too much of a struggle, I think sometimes I can be overwhelmed with the amount of things to do.

It doesn't help that I have 4 years of study left on my course, and I can't imagine putting up with this for that long, if I don't fix it, won't be too long until I get too annoyed to want to do anymore.

I have a few other big responsibilities also that take up a lot of my mental capacity and time as well, just very annoying that I'll waste 20+ hours sat like a dumb*** on my computer 'working' all weekend having achieved nothing.

I've had this problem for previous years of study as well (now for over 3 years). Sorry for the rant of complaints, but I'm just looking for potential solutions to how I can solve this. I'd like to be able to get my work done within a healthy and happy amount of time, so I'm not always upset about it.

Thank you
Is the studying practical?
Reply 2
What do you mean sorry? As in is the studying practical or theory based? - Engineering so pretty much all fluff and theory

Original post by random_matt
Is the studying practical?
Reply 3
Might be ADHD or something 😮
Original post by darkgreenleaf
What do you mean sorry? As in is the studying practical or theory based? - Engineering so pretty much all fluff and theory

Maybe that's the problem.
Original post by darkgreenleaf
having serious issues concentrating when studying, and it's really starting to bug me, seriously.
I'm on an apprenticeship, and work full time alongside studying. I have no issues taking rest or managing my time, but when it comes to studying, I struggle to focus on my work.

Often, I'll sit at the computer all day (literally all day, 10+ hours), and achieve 5% of what I want to do. Don't know why, I have a passion for my subject, I don't find the work too much of a struggle, I think sometimes I can be overwhelmed with the amount of things to do.

It doesn't help that I have 4 years of study left on my course, and I can't imagine putting up with this for that long, if I don't fix it, won't be too long until I get too annoyed to want to do anymore.

I have a few other big responsibilities also that take up a lot of my mental capacity and time as well, just very annoying that I'll waste 20+ hours sat like a dumb*** on my computer 'working' all weekend having achieved nothing.

I've had this problem for previous years of study as well (now for over 3 years). Sorry for the rant of complaints, but I'm just looking for potential solutions to how I can solve this. I'd like to be able to get my work done within a healthy and happy amount of time, so I'm not always upset about it.

Thank you

I discuss some productivity points on Weekly wins and woes. It's here in the mental health section. It might help, but if it doesn't just let me know and I'll do some more research on the matter for you.

Quick Reply

Latest