The Student Room Group

Can u still get a good grade in GCSE English literature if u forget ur quotes?

Exam is on Wednesday and I’m panicking because I know barely any quotes for Frankenstein and struggling to remember them. I’ll be fine for all my other texts and I’m only thinking worst case scenario, but say I were to forget them all or none of the quotes I could remember were relevant can I still get a good grade (like 6 or more)? If I were to just recite the event in detail rather than be able to recall an exact quotation would that still get me the marks? Thank you
Original post by user01906002
Exam is on Wednesday and I’m panicking because I know barely any quotes for Frankenstein and struggling to remember them. I’ll be fine for all my other texts and I’m only thinking worst case scenario, but say I were to forget them all or none of the quotes I could remember were relevant can I still get a good grade (like 6 or more)? If I were to just recite the event in detail rather than be able to recall an exact quotation would that still get me the marks? Thank you

You can’t analyse anything if you don’t have a quote, so your mark would really suffer if you knew 0. However, one word quotes are quotes. If you’re really struggling but remember 2 quotes, separate a phrase into single word quotes and analyse them differently to secure as many marks as possible.

For example, “as solitary as an oyster” from A Christmas Carol can be separated into the simile itself (appeals to children, perhaps), the symbolism of an oyster (hardened exterior but pearl in the centre that marks the goodness in Scrooge waiting to be revealed) and the fact that it’s mentioned at the start of the novella (to emphasise its significance to his character and portray his redemption as more shocking and extraordinary to the young reader).

As long as you can draw good analysis from what you can remember, it doesn’t matter if you only have a few quotes, but I would suggest revising a good amount.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending