The Student Room Group

english a level

I'm really bad at writing/structuring essays and paragraphs atm does anyone have any tips?, especially for balancing 3 poems in one essay
Reply 1
Any particular question you need specific help on and what exam board?
Reply 2
my exam board is wjec eduqas and I would like help on generally how to structure a 60 mark question with three poems
I would rlly appreciate it :smile:
Original post by lisaxclapham
I'm really bad at writing/structuring essays and paragraphs atm does anyone have any tips?, especially for balancing 3 poems in one essay

I do CAIE for English a level so obviously if you do a different board it might be a bit different but I think there's generally two ways of doing a 3 poem essay.

1. You can do intro, 1 paragraph on each poem and then a conclusion. if you do this make sure to link the poems together in the conclusion, and make quick references to the other poems in your main paragraphs.
2. You can do intro, 3 or 4 main paragraphs and conclusion. For the 3 main paragraphs, try to find themes that are commons across all, or at least 2 of the poems and discuss by theme.

Just in general, I would say make sure each of your paragraphs has a clear topic sentence and finishes by linking back to the question. In the intro, name your three poems and how they link to the question, and you could also mention context or critics (depending on what board you do). I would also just say in each para use about 6-8 quotes and try to analyse them all in detail like focus on specific words.

Obviously everyone is taught slightly differently but this is what I've always been told and I think it works me for. Hopefully this is at least a bit helpful!
Reply 4
Original post by ceceliajudge
I do CAIE for English a level so obviously if you do a different board it might be a bit different but I think there's generally two ways of doing a 3 poem essay.

1. You can do intro, 1 paragraph on each poem and then a conclusion. if you do this make sure to link the poems together in the conclusion, and make quick references to the other poems in your main paragraphs.
2. You can do intro, 3 or 4 main paragraphs and conclusion. For the 3 main paragraphs, try to find themes that are commons across all, or at least 2 of the poems and discuss by theme.

Just in general, I would say make sure each of your paragraphs has a clear topic sentence and finishes by linking back to the question. In the intro, name your three poems and how they link to the question, and you could also mention context or critics (depending on what board you do). I would also just say in each para use about 6-8 quotes and try to analyse them all in detail like focus on specific words.

Obviously everyone is taught slightly differently but this is what I've always been told and I think it works me for. Hopefully this is at least a bit helpful!

thanks so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending