The Student Room Group

is this normal for placement?

My placement partner and I are first year students and on our third 2 week placement. We have been to the same school twice and every time feel dreadful going in. The teacher always splits us up and doesnt allow us to fully go into different classes throughout the school, he just makes us do one to one work with students with very high needs. This has gotten to the point where for this placement they are putting us with children that are being violent physically and we just dont feel safe. This has only been the first day of our third placement but we are already dreading tomorrow as they are putting us with that same child and making us take turns to essentially babysit them. We are at a loss and we dont know if this is normal and what we shouldve expected, and its making us question our whole placement experience as we both feel like we havent learned anything and like we arent encouraged to try and do things within the school.
Reply 1
Original post by placementstress
My placement partner and I are first year students and on our third 2 week placement. We have been to the same school twice and every time feel dreadful going in. The teacher always splits us up and doesnt allow us to fully go into different classes throughout the school, he just makes us do one to one work with students with very high needs. This has gotten to the point where for this placement they are putting us with children that are being violent physically and we just dont feel safe. This has only been the first day of our third placement but we are already dreading tomorrow as they are putting us with that same child and making us take turns to essentially babysit them. We are at a loss and we dont know if this is normal and what we shouldve expected, and its making us question our whole placement experience as we both feel like we havent learned anything and like we arent encouraged to try and do things within the school.

Doesn't sound usual to me, what were your other 2 placements like? I'd speak to your uni tutor about it.
Original post by EIL3EN
Doesn't sound usual to me, what were your other 2 placements like? I'd speak to your uni tutor about it.

They were super similar where often we would be split up and placed with different chidlren but they werent as bad, well as violent. We are thinking about it but werent sure if we were just being silly.
Reply 3
Original post by placementstress
They were super similar where often we would be split up and placed with different chidlren but they werent as bad, well as violent. We are thinking about it but werent sure if we were just being silly.

Might as well ask if something seems off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending