The Student Room Group

An appropriate course for predicted A*/A/B

Hi, I’ve recently been researching different courses to study once I finish my exams next summer but I’m having trouble choosing a course. I’m studying Psychology (A*), Business (A*), and Maths (B) and I want to stick to what I’m good at but at the same time I want to pick a course that will allow me to earn a high-salary job in the future.

I’ve put some thought into doing a Business Management course as I’m aware that there’s certain jobs in that industry where you can earn a lot of money and it’s something that I’d imagine is quite open in terms of actually choosing a career path but I’m thinking about whether it would be difficult to actually get a job straight out of uni.

I would probably enjoy something in Psychology more but there’s obviously a doubt about actually making a career out of it and whether it’s that valuable of a degree to have when there’s probably better, more respected courses I could go for.

Accounting is another one that I’ve considered as I know it’s well-paid and my current subjects would allow me to study it at uni but overall I’m just very unsure.

I’ve also considered possibly doing a degree apprenticeship instead of going to uni as it would give me the work experience needed to go straight into a job after getting a degree.

Really, I’m just asking for some guidance from people with some experience as I’m stressed out trying to research all of these things and I’ve got to start writing my personal statement soon too. Please feel free to ask me any questions as well. Thank you :smile:
Original post by maddoxpenney
Hi, I’ve recently been researching different courses to study once I finish my exams next summer but I’m having trouble choosing a course. I’m studying Psychology (A*), Business (A*), and Maths (B) and I want to stick to what I’m good at but at the same time I want to pick a course that will allow me to earn a high-salary job in the future.

I’ve put some thought into doing a Business Management course as I’m aware that there’s certain jobs in that industry where you can earn a lot of money and it’s something that I’d imagine is quite open in terms of actually choosing a career path but I’m thinking about whether it would be difficult to actually get a job straight out of uni.

I would probably enjoy something in Psychology more but there’s obviously a doubt about actually making a career out of it and whether it’s that valuable of a degree to have when there’s probably better, more respected courses I could go for.

Accounting is another one that I’ve considered as I know it’s well-paid and my current subjects would allow me to study it at uni but overall I’m just very unsure.

I’ve also considered possibly doing a degree apprenticeship instead of going to uni as it would give me the work experience needed to go straight into a job after getting a degree.

Really, I’m just asking for some guidance from people with some experience as I’m stressed out trying to research all of these things and I’ve got to start writing my personal statement soon too. Please feel free to ask me any questions as well. Thank you :smile:

Any chance of getting that B prediction in maths up to an A? It would open up more options no matter which subject you decided to study.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Any chance of getting that B prediction in maths up to an A? It would open up more options no matter which subject you decided to study.

Yeah I definitely think I can do better than what I was predicted in maths. Do you think maths on its own would be something to go for or is that too broad of a course?
Yeah I definitely think I can do better than what I was predicted in maths. Do you think maths on its own would be something to go for or is that too broad of a course?

Can you get your teachers to increase their prediction before you apply?

Maths at degree level?
Reply 4
Can you get your teachers to increase their prediction before you apply?

Maths at degree level?

Yeah, currently the predictions aren’t anything official they’re just end of year 12 mocks. The next set of mocks are the ones I’d use to apply and the teachers are known to be more generous with those ones. Also, yes, I think it’d be at degree level
Yeah, currently the predictions aren’t anything official they’re just end of year 12 mocks. The next set of mocks are the ones I’d use to apply and the teachers are known to be more generous with those ones. Also, yes, I think it’d be at degree level

Well, maths courses at highly rated unis tend to want an A* though an A would get you offers from many others.
Reply 6
Well, maths courses at highly rated unis tend to want an A* though an A would get you offers from many others.

Okay so if I were to get an A in maths, do you think that doing a maths course would be best suited for me or is it too broad of a degree?
Okay so if I were to get an A in maths, do you think that doing a maths course would be best suited for me or is it too broad of a degree?

I have no idea of your actual abilities, so I can't comment on whether a maths degree is a best for you. In what way do you think maths is a broad degree?

Hi @maddoxpenney,

First of all, these grades are amazing! Keep doing what you are doing. :smile:

I am a current undergraduate Psychology student and we have other student reps who study postgraduate Psychology (a PhD) and undergraduate economics who can answer any questions in these subjects. :smile: Just let us know!

I would agree with the fact that it can be tricky to find a job in Psychology after graduation from an undergraduate. I know a lot of people who recently graduated who have accepted internships, work in marketing or business settings. The clinical route requires further qualifications depending on what you would like to do. After an undergraduate Psychology degree you could pursue a research assistant role, although not highly paid they can be valuable if you want to pursue a career in research. I would say Psychology is a good subject as it does not close any doors. It is a very broad subject so you can get experience in cognitive, moral, forensic, child, biological psychology and more!

Attending open days might be helpful for you. On the open day you can discuss career options with the career service (we have one at Kent called careers and employability service) and staff in each course (Accounting, Psychology and Business). You might find it helpful to read alumni stories from people who have studied these courses. You can find more specific alumni stories for example Psychology, here.

We know how hard it can be to choose a degree that is right for you so feel free to ask us any questions :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 9
I have no idea of your actual abilities, so I can't comment on whether a maths degree is a best for you. In what way do you think maths is a broad degree?

Idk I just feel like it’s not in a specific industry
Idk I just feel like it’s not in a specific industry

Ok, I understand you now. True, maths is applicable in many industries. So is business, or economics...
Reply 11
Original post by University of Kent
Hi @maddoxpenney,

First of all, these grades are amazing! Keep doing what you are doing. :smile:

I am a current undergraduate Psychology student and we have other student reps who study postgraduate Psychology (a PhD) and undergraduate economics who can answer any questions in these subjects. :smile: Just let us know!

I would agree with the fact that it can be tricky to find a job in Psychology after graduation from an undergraduate. I know a lot of people who recently graduated who have accepted internships, work in marketing or business settings. The clinical route requires further qualifications depending on what you would like to do. After an undergraduate Psychology degree you could pursue a research assistant role, although not highly paid they can be valuable if you want to pursue a career in research. I would say Psychology is a good subject as it does not close any doors. It is a very broad subject so you can get experience in cognitive, moral, forensic, child, biological psychology and more!

Attending open days might be helpful for you. On the open day you can discuss career options with the career service (we have one at Kent called careers and employability service) and staff in each course (Accounting, Psychology and Business). You might find it helpful to read alumni stories from people who have studied these courses. You can find more specific alumni stories for example Psychology, here.

We know how hard it can be to choose a degree that is right for you so feel free to ask us any questions :smile:

Alia

Hi, thank you sm for your reply! I do have some questions about courses in Psychology.

Are there any courses which are Psychology based but integrate it into other areas such as maths, business, analysis, HR, etc..?

How much more valuable, in terms of the potential for a higher salary and employability, is pursuing the further qualifications?

How likely would it be that I’d be able to go down a career path that isn’t necessarily based on Psychology but involves it in some way like HR or a teacher (given that I can hopefully get the A-Level grades I’m predicted or better)?
Reply 12
Ok, I understand you now. True, maths is applicable in many industries. So is business, or economics...

So would you say that that’s necessarily an advantage or a disadvantage of the course?
So would you say that that’s necessarily an advantage or a disadvantage of the course?

I have no idea, honestly, it's something very much up to you.
Hi, thank you sm for your reply! I do have some questions about courses in Psychology.

Are there any courses which are Psychology based but integrate it into other areas such as maths, business, analysis, HR, etc..?

How much more valuable, in terms of the potential for a higher salary and employability, is pursuing the further qualifications?

How likely would it be that I’d be able to go down a career path that isn’t necessarily based on Psychology but involves it in some way like HR or a teacher (given that I can hopefully get the A-Level grades I’m predicted or better)?

Hey @maddoxpenney

Just adding on to Alia's response here! :smile:

1. Yes! At Kent, you can do a BSc Business Psychology undergraduate degree, which integrates both psychology and some business modules/applying psychology to business problems. I personally then did the MSc in Organisational & Business Psychology, which integrates psychology with business, HR, management and more advanced business modules as a postgraduate degree!

2. In terms of further qualifications, I don't think they are always necessary - I personally know people who only did their undergraduate and then went on to do graduate schemes/get graduate jobs with no problem. I personally have done a master's (in organisational & business psychology), which a lot of people did to help them stand out/get more business-related knowledge, and most of my friends have gone on to work in HR/marketing/management/consultancy! I'm now doing a PhD just because I am more interested in working in research/academia :smile:

3a. To your third question about psychology and other careers, as I said above, most people I know from both undergrad and postgrad have not gone down the 'typical' psychology route (clinical/mental health/forensic related careers) and instead have gone on to do graduate schemes in business or get jobs in HR/marketing/management/consultancy .etc as I said above.

3b. In terms of teaching, one of my secondary school friends did a psychology degree and then went on to do teaching - I'm pretty sure you can teach in any subject you have an A-level in (she teaches biology and psychology at a secondary school). With that, she did her teacher training in the first year of her job (so she didn't need to do a qualification first basically, she did it at the same time as working), which she contacted schools about and they sorted for her! You could also go into higher education teaching (which is my plan) by doing a PhD and becoming a lecturer.

Sorry for the wordy response - but basically psychology is a very good degree for a wide variety of career options! Lots of businesses like psychology due to the boom in interest in both mental health as well as human behaviour & interaction in recent years :biggrin:

Best of luck with everything and don't hesitate to ask any other questions!

Natalie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending