The Student Room Group

I feel trapped in my job?

I like my job and not looking to move anytime soon however I have to give 3 months notice should I leave. This is quite a long time and most jobs require someone to join within a month? So I’m just worried should a better job opportunity arise, i won’t be preferred candidate because of my notice period!

Do you think there’s a way I can ask my colleagues about changing the terms of my contract?
Reply 1
I would be advising them that 3 months is inappropriate and completed in practicable and wave goodbye to them after 4 weeks.
Think it depends. My old job had a 3 month notice period and my current job was more than happy to wait. I think you would need to bring this up with a future employer at the earliest opportunity: typically the first stage interview. They will then usually give you a clear answer as to whether they're willing to wait that long. Even if they're not, you could try and negotiate a shorter notice period and even if your employers refuse you can just leave early anyway as it's very rare for employers to pursue workers with legal action for this.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Amydesigns1104
I like my job and not looking to move anytime soon however I have to give 3 months notice should I leave. This is quite a long time and most jobs require someone to join within a month? So I’m just worried should a better job opportunity arise, i won’t be preferred candidate because of my notice period!

Do you think there’s a way I can ask my colleagues about changing the terms of my contract?

Your notice period is unlikely to come up until you are made an offer. By that point the potential new employer is very unlikely to change their mind and offer another candidate instead. They are used to dealing with notice periods and will be know that you won't be able to just join immediately.
Original post by Amydesigns1104

This is entirely standard, and every company deals with it. No serious employer who wants to make an offer to someone quibbles about their notice period. Besides which, the departing employer is often prepared to negotiate. But an offer has greater value to the receiving employer and they will wait. If they wont, then you were a completely disposable employee anyway and who would want to work for an employer like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending