The Student Room Group

AQA English Language A Level CLA

Hi All,
I'm having a little trouble with answering my Child language acquisition questions.

When picking, I plan to pick the spoken language questions, which usually results in one of two questions

a) a question similar to the nature vs nurture debate for example 'interactions with caregivers is the most important way for children's language development ' and im okay with this question.

b) a question to do with forms of language learning for example 'Language development is less about just learning vocabulary and grammar and is more*about using them in social interactions.’ I'm not sure how to answer this question.*

Thank you.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by yacob_123
Hi All,
I'm having a little trouble with answering my Child language acquisition questions.

When picking, I plan to pick the spoken language questions, which usually results in one of two questions

a) a question similar to the nature vs nurture debate for example 'interactions with caregivers is the most important way for children's language development ' and im okay with this question.

b) a question to do with forms of language learning for example 'Language development is less about just learning vocabulary and grammar and is more*about using them in social interactions.’ I'm not sure how to answer this question.*

Thank you.

you can talk about bruners social interaction since that's the key theory. this question seems to be mainly centred around the nurture debate so any theory you can bring from the previous question above. you'd obviously need a counter argument with reflects the 'learning vocabulary and grammar' bit, obviously adhering to the innateness debate. since i don't have the transcript, i can't make precise notes but you can refer to how a child acquires morphemes and negation naturally (brown and bellugi), you could also talk about certain halliday functions since it references pragmatics. hallidays functions aren't always relating to innateness so be careful which one you choose. you can also talk about skinners behaviourism but only with social interactions since he talks about positive and negative reinforcement.
you can also use phonological adjustments (idk what they're called) but subsitution deletion and so on, they cover how kids may reject certain syllables no matter if encouraged.

i hope this was of some help, i kinda just dumped a lot onto here :,)
Reply 2
Original post by onlinegyaah
you can talk about bruners social interaction since that's the key theory. this question seems to be mainly centred around the nurture debate so any theory you can bring from the previous question above. you'd obviously need a counter argument with reflects the 'learning vocabulary and grammar' bit, obviously adhering to the innateness debate. since i don't have the transcript, i can't make precise notes but you can refer to how a child acquires morphemes and negation naturally (brown and bellugi), you could also talk about certain halliday functions since it references pragmatics. hallidays functions aren't always relating to innateness so be careful which one you choose. you can also talk about skinners behaviourism but only with social interactions since he talks about positive and negative reinforcement.
you can also use phonological adjustments (idk what they're called) but subsitution deletion and so on, they cover how kids may reject certain syllables no matter if encouraged.

i hope this was of some help, i kinda just dumped a lot onto here :,)

Thanks that was really helpful and I think I understand it now. You can get a lot our of Brucers LASS and some of Lev vygotskys theories for the one hand so I can see how to answer this.
Original post by yacob_123
Thanks that was really helpful and I think I understand it now. You can get a lot our of Brucers LASS and some of Lev vygotskys theories for the one hand so I can see how to answer this.

glad to be of help!
Reply 4
Hi

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending