The Student Room Group

Best route for coding related careers

I’m wanting to go into something in the tech industry such as software engineering or development or something in that field. What would be the best route to go down would it be uni or something else?
Reply 1
Original post by Help7281
I’m wanting to go into something in the tech industry such as software engineering or development or something in that field. What would be the best route to go down would it be uni or something else?

Uni. Are you doing alevels at school or college?
Reply 2
Original post by QueenOla
Uni. Are you doing alevels at school or college?

Yes I’m doing a levels however they’re in no way related to computer science as I didn’t realise this is what I wanted to do when I chose my a levels. But I have found some uni courses that don’t have any subject specific requirements
Reply 3
you can do a foundation year.

Yes I’m doing a levels however they’re in no way related to computer science as I didn’t realise this is what I wanted to do when I chose my a levels. But I have found some uni courses that don’t have any subject specific requirements
Reply 4

what alevels do you do

Have you considered doing A Level Maths in your gap year? It might open up a lot of options.

Specifically, if it's to do with software development, it's said it's better to take the apprenticeship route. Having said that, I don't work in tech, so you would want a second opinion on that.
I personally vouch for the professional IT certificates over the degree, but those in the field have mixed opinions on this approach.
Reply 6
Original post by MindMax2000
Have you considered doing A Level Maths in your gap year? It might open up a lot of options.

Specifically, if it's to do with software development, it's said it's better to take the apprenticeship route. Having said that, I don't work in tech, so you would want a second opinion on that.
I personally vouch for the professional IT certificates over the degree, but those in the field have mixed opinions on this approach.

A degree is still the norm and is expected as a bare minimum requirement in the vast majority of software engineering roles, both domestically and internationally. If you can do the degree, you should do the degree, there is no question about that.
Original post by jimb0b
A degree is still the norm and is expected as a bare minimum requirement in the vast majority of software engineering roles, both domestically and internationally. If you can do the degree, you should do the degree, there is no question about that.

I'm intrigued... Where did you find the data suggesting such statement ? In the UK sadly that might be the norm if you say so, but internationally?! Please get the facts right.
Have you heard about Software Engineer Bootcamp?
If I haven't missed anything, that is what the OP wants to do, for one reason or another.
In addition, there are plenty of hybrid jobs all around the world, where you don't need a degree from a broken system. As long you're able to sell yourself (i.e showing the interviewers what you're capable of, computer related side projects aka ideas, good grasp in advanced algorithms and mathematical thinking. As long the OP is not expecting to been spoon fed then there is a way.
Reply 8
Original post by ThiagoBrigido
I'm intrigued... Where did you find the data suggesting such statement ? In the UK sadly that might be the norm if you say so, but internationally?! Please get the facts right.
Have you heard about Software Engineer Bootcamp?
If I haven't missed anything, that is what the OP wants to do, for one reason or another.
In addition, there are plenty of hybrid jobs all around the world, where you don't need a degree from a broken system. As long you're able to sell yourself (i.e showing the interviewers what you're capable of, computer related side projects aka ideas, good grasp in advanced algorithms and mathematical thinking. As long the OP is not expecting to been spoon fed then there is a way.

I'm a Senior Software Engineer for Meta, and I've worked with numerous big tech companies over the past decade, and I hire people, so I have some basis to make that statement.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by jimb0b
I'm a Senior Software Engineer for Meta, and I've worked with numerous big tech companies over the past decade, and I hire people, so I have some basis to make that statement.

LOL, don't make me laugh LOL
Reply 10
Original post by ThiagoBrigido
LOL, don't make me laugh LOL

https://i.imgur.com/7LexcE9.png my workday page redacted for personal info.

So cheers. You can disregard my advice if you want, it really doesn't make any difference to me, I'm just telling you my experience.
I won't even waste my time open the file.
That is completely irrelevant what you've achieved if any.
I won't be telling you otherwise if I didn't have substantial experience in the field. No need to send my resume. I'm challenging you for the fact that you're advising others to go to university because "THIS IS THE NORM DOMESTICALLY AND INTERNATIONALLY". Not even sure you know the world very well to make that statement, that is all I'm telling you. Scares me the fact that you hire people? Gosh!
Original post by jimb0b
https://i.imgur.com/7LexcE9.png my workday page redacted for personal info.

So cheers. You can disregard my advice if you want, it really doesn't make any difference to me, I'm just telling you my experience.

Have a look into the Software Engineering Bootcamp course. The university of Edinburgh has got a good well structured program.

https://coding-bootcamps.ed.ac.uk/ed-software-engineering/?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=keyword-software%20bootcamp-Scotland.Acquisition.Paid_Search_UoE&gclid=CjwKCAjw6eWnBhAKEiwADpnw9o8fUMpBHW9vK-Qkmpxo3-lxpFp-ikUvP4YyIAKp6-CosPxGEwZHGhoCmskQAvD_BwE
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 13
I don't care what data you have, I assume you believe that actual real experience matters more than qualification? I'm telling you that I'm an actual engineer at these big tech companies, and I actually do hiring at these companies, and that I know precisely how candidates are assessed, and that I also have worked both in the UK and in aboard, and have proved as much. So yeah reject it if you want, like I said it makes no difference to me.

You don't even need me anyway, look at any software engineering role opening at Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Meta, or basically any company in the S&P500, tell me how many roles you see that don't have "Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or relevant technical discipline" as the first line in the job requirements. It's not rocket science.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending