The Student Room Group

OCR A-level Latin Paper 1 (H443/01) - 22nd May 2023 [Exam Chat]

OCR A Level Latin Paper 1: (H443/01) - 22nd May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: 22nd May 2023/ PM
Length: 1h 45m

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How did everyone find it? Hoping I wasn't the only one who found it slightly harder than usual (mostly due to more unfamiliar vocab than I was expecting!) :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Original post by Epirus
How did everyone find it? Hoping I wasn't the only one who found it slightly harder than usual (mostly due to more unfamiliar vocab than I was expecting!) :s-smilie:

the prose was ok, the verse was awful - although thats usually how it goes. i never really stress that much with latin though, because you usually get 2/3 marks for getting the general gist of the sentence right. i didnt know lots of vocab and pretty much none of my verse made sense though lol.
Reply 3
Thought it went okay for both, although some bits were particularly hard. Any understanding of the phrases ‘omnia celeriora imperio erant’ in the prose or the purpose of the word ‘artus’ in the verse? Hope everyone else managed alright.
Reply 4
I actually thought it went pretty well, although the first bit of the verse def didn't really make sense. I was just thanking my lucky stars that the Livy only had two armies in it and the sentences weren't too long in the prose! The scansion was okay I thought, but the verse was def worse than the prose. Found it quite confusing that it seemed to be written in a mix of 2nd and 3rd person? Was it addressing the dead centaur from the perspective of an outsider but also telling the story? Was a bit confused, and in particular couldn't make the grammar work for the bit about how his beauty wouldn't 'redemit' him?? Had an 'illi' going spare...

I also didn't appreciate them glossing a few words I had learnt (e.g. 'protinus' or 'inermis') and then not glossing a few I had never seen! But it's often the way unfortunately :frown:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by TDH110583
Thought it went okay for both, although some bits were particularly hard. Any understanding of the phrases ‘omnia celeriora imperio erant’ in the prose or the purpose of the word ‘artus’ in the verse? Hope everyone else managed alright.

As far as I could tell:

'omnia celerior imperio erant' was something along the lines of 'everyone was faster than his command', as in they were already moving before he had finished speaking/before he had even ordered them what to do, the idea being that they were that eager for battle.

And 'artus' I believe means 'limb' and because it's 4th dec it was plural 'dying limbs' here I think, agreeing with 'morientes'?
Reply 6
Original post by beaquin
As far as I could tell:

'omnia celerior imperio erant' was something along the lines of 'everyone was faster than his command', as in they were already moving before he had finished speaking/before he had even ordered them what to do, the idea being that they were that eager for battle.

And 'artus' I believe means 'limb' and because it's 4th dec it was plural 'dying limbs' here I think, agreeing with 'morientes'?

Thanks you so much, that makes so much sense, annoying that I was a bit off. I translated the first one as ‘his orders were carried out all too quickly’ and I knew that ‘morientes’ should have a plural but didn’t spot the link. Tbf they were probably the biggest errors I had beyond a couple of vocab slips, one being ‘antra’, and I was dying to piece it together.
Reply 7
Thanks you so much, that makes so much sense, annoying that I was a bit off. I translated the first one as ‘his orders were carried out all too quickly’ and I knew that ‘morientes’ should have a plural but didn’t spot the link. Tbf they were probably the biggest errors I had beyond a couple of vocab slips, one being ‘antra’, and I was dying to piece it together.

It's so frustrating seeing it after the event but if those were your biggest errors then I'd say you have nothing to worry about! I'm currently trying to put together the correct translation to compare with what I got so I'll post it here afterwards
Reply 8
Latin Text:

'nec te pugnantem tua, Cyllare, forma redemit, 393 (-396)
si modo naturae formam concedimus illi.
barba erat incipiens, barbae color aureus, aurea
ex umeris medios coma dependebat in armos.
multae illum petiere sua de gente, sed una 404 (-406)
abstulit Hylonome, qua nulla decentior inter
semiferos altis habitavit femina silvis;
par amor est illis: errant in montibus una, 416 (-419)
antra simul subeunt; et tum Lapitheia tecta
intrarant pariter, pariter fera bella gerebant:
(auctor in incerto est) iaculum de parte sinistra
Cyllare, te fixit; parvo cor vulnere laesum 421 (-426)
corpore *** toto post tela educta refrixit.
protinus Hylonome morientes excipit artus
inpositaque manu vulnus fovet oraque ad ora
admovet atque animae fugienti obsistere temptat;
ut videt exstinctum,
telo, quod inhaeserat illi, 427 (-428)
incubuit moriensque suum complexa maritum est.'

English Translation (taken from the internet and adjusted where possible to better fit the lines selected for the unseen and the vocab offered by the glossary in the exam):

'Nor did your beauty, Cyllarus, if indeed we attribute beauty to that centaur race, save you in the fighting. His beard was beginning to show; a beard the colour of gold; and a golden mane fell from his shoulders half way down his flanks.

Many females of his race desired him, but one, Hylonome, won him, none lovelier, among the female centaurs, in the deep forests.

Their love was equally shared. They wandered the mountainsides together, rested at the same time in caves: and now they had both come to the palace of the Lapiths, and both fought fiercely: a javelin (who threw it is unknown) came from the left

and pierced you, Cyllarus; the heart, though harmed with a small wound, when the weapon was withdrawn, grew cold with the whole body. Immediately Hylonome clasped the dying limbs, sealed the wound with her hand, placed her mouth on his, and tried to get in the way of his fleeing spirit; when she saw he was dead,

She threw herself onto the spear that had pierced him, and dying, she embraced her husband.’

Scansion:

Screenshot 2023-05-22 183458.png

**('maritum est' was elided to 'marit-est')**

Please do suggest any corrections! I may well be wrong about any of these!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by beaquin
Latin Text:

'nec te pugnantem tua, Cyllare, forma redemit, 393 (-396)
si modo naturae formam concedimus illi.
barba erat incipiens, barbae color aureus, aurea
ex umeris medios coma dependebat in armos.
multae illum petiere sua de gente, sed una 404 (-406)
abstulit Hylonome, qua nulla decentior inter
semiferos altis habitavit femina silvis;
par amor est illis: errant in montibus una, 416 (-419)
antra simul subeunt; et tum Lapitheia tecta
intrarant pariter, pariter fera bella gerebant:
(auctor in incerto est) iaculum de parte sinistra
Cyllare, te fixit; parvo cor vulnere laesum 421 (-426)
corpore *** toto post tela educta refrixit.
protinus Hylonome morientes excipit artus
inpositaque manu vulnus fovet oraque ad ora
admovet atque animae fugienti obsistere temptat;
ut videt exstinctum,
telo, quod inhaeserat illi, 427 (-428)
incubuit moriensque suum complexa maritum est.

English Translation (taken from the internet and adjusted where possible to better fit the lines selected for the unseen and the vocab offered by the glossary in the exam):

'Nor did your beauty, Cyllarus, if indeed we attribute beauty to that centaur race, save you in the fighting. His beard was beginning to show; a beard the colour of gold; and a golden mane fell from his shoulders half way down his flanks.

Many females of his race desired him, but one, Hylonome, won him, none lovelier, among the female centaurs, in the deep forests.

Their love was equally shared. They wandered the mountainsides together, rested at the same time in caves: and now they had both come to the palace of the Lapiths, and both fought fiercely: a javelin (who threw it is unknown) came from the left

and pierced you, Cyllarus; the heart, though harmed with a small wound, when the weapon was withdrawn, grew cold with the whole body. Immediately Hylonome clasped the dying limbs, sealed the wound with her hand, placed her mouth on his, and tried to get in the way of his fleeing spirit; when she saw he was dead,

She threw herself onto the spear that had pierced him, and dying, she embraced her husband.’

Looks pretty spot on to the passage. How did you find it in the exam, now that you’ve compiled a translation? Noticed a couple of other minor errors on my part.
Reply 10
Looks pretty spot on to the passage. How did you find it in the exam, now that you’ve compiled a translation? Noticed a couple of other minor errors on my part.

Obviously now I'm looking back at it I'm seeing quite a few differences, but there are some places where I don't know whether that's how the English translation I found chose to translate something and whether my answer would also be acceptable or not.

From what I've noticed:
- I stupidly left Cyllarus in the vocative in the places where it's like that in the Latin which was such an unnecessary error to make :mad:
- I translated 'modo' as 'as if' and translated 'concedimus' as 'we yield' because I didn't understand the meaning of the sentence at all!
- Where they have translated 'His beard was beginning to show', I just wrote 'Beginning was his beard', meaning that that was the first beautiful aspect an onlooker would see, but I don't know if that will be accepted at all.
- I translated 'decentior' as 'more noble' because I didn't know what it meant and 'more decent' felt wrong there.
- I translated 'par' as 'by' rather than 'equal' which meant I wrote 'It was by love for them', meaning that their relationship was led by love.
- I translated 'subeunt' as 'they approached', not sure if that will be accepted
- I don't remember doing anything with 'fera', so may have left it out?
- I had 'parvo' agree with 'with his whole body' to make 'with his whole small body' because I couldn't understand why Ovid would undermine the gravity of the wound by calling it small - I didn't really understand the 'although' undertones there
- I translated 'educta' as 'shot'
- Wasn't sure what to do with 'inposita' and accidentally read 'vulnus' as 'vultus' so I had 'having placed her hand there, she soothed his face'

That's all I can remember being different from what's written above but there may be other things I've forgotten. Not sure what impact that will have on my mark overall!

What about you?
Reply 11
Original post by beaquin
Obviously now I'm looking back at it I'm seeing quite a few differences, but there are some places where I don't know whether that's how the English translation I found chose to translate something and whether my answer would also be acceptable or not.

That's all I can remember being different from what's written above but there may be other things I've forgotten. Not sure what impact that will have on my mark overall!

What about you?

Yeah, along the same lines particularly with the difficulty on the second line. I’ve taken your suggested translation and compared it to how I translated the verse, highlighting the areas where I went off course. Incorrect renderings below:

‘If indeed we attribute beauty to that centaur race’ as ‘if only we could yield the beauty of our type of creature to him’

‘Won’ as ‘abstained’

‘They rested in caves’ as ‘they went under trees’

‘Harmed with a small’ as ‘struck with a precise’

‘Dying limbs’ as ‘dying man’

‘Had pierced’ as ‘had brought death to’
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 12
I thought the prose was quite nice, and the verse less so. I did quite well on all the past-papers, and I'd say that this years verse was one of the harder ones!

The only thing I found really complicated with the prose was the phrase about the soldiers clinging to the narrows of the gate (I think?), I virtually knew every phrase in this section (the gloss was kinda useless though, icl, why was "protinus" glossed?!) and I think I messed up "contra" and paired it with "Etrusci" when it really meant "on the other hand". I'd be happy with 40/50 for this and I'm confident I've done ok.

As for the verse, bloody hell, the first two sentences, what the hell was going on there?! I ended up abandoning it after roughly trying to translate the sense, probably got 1-2 marks out of 5 for that first couplet, lol. I found the rest of the passage do-able, though I made some stupid mistakes. As some other poster mentioned above, the change of writer's perspective was super weird!

- Managed to write "gold" for his beard and hair, and then crossed it out and wrote bronze (whoops!) - though it's only a slight error so I'll get either 4 or 5 marks out of 5

- I see the Perseus translations as referencing a palace, but I put homes of the Lapith (probably ok I hope)

- I missed up the "placed her mouth on his" and said "brought her face to his" or something like that, again, no idea if that's creditable

- There were probably some agreement problems with wounds/spears in the final few phrases, but I'm still gonna say I hopefully got a 4 for this

Though, I managed to completely massacre the scansion; I technically got all the feet correct, though the positioning was all wrong as I didn't elide the "-um" in "maritum est" - therefore making the entire last sentence invalid of marks, aghhhhh. So, 2/5 for that, whoopsies.

On this I'd be happy with anything over 35, which would hopefully take my overall total to 75/100, which I'm hoping is an A, and maybe even an A* if the boundaries aren't super strict? There's probably more I've missed here, but it wasn't too awful.
Reply 13

For this one it was "all of the men were quicker than his command" -> you had to pick up the command to "bear the standards" in the first line on the prose (it's a weird passive command that doesn't lend itself to English very well, so I translated it actively) and the fact that they "urged and encouraged the standard bearers to go more quickly" (signifier was the key word here, doubt many candidates got it!) and weren't wanting to stay back as the Etruscans approached
Reply 14
Original post by BarnabyK
I thought the prose was quite nice, and the verse less so. I did quite well on all the past-papers, and I'd say that this years verse was one of the harder ones!

The only thing I found really complicated with the prose was the phrase about the soldiers clinging to the narrows of the gate (I think?), I virtually knew every phrase in this section (the gloss was kinda useless though, icl, why was "protinus" glossed?!) and I think I messed up "contra" and paired it with "Etrusci" when it really meant "on the other hand". I'd be happy with 40/50 for this and I'm confident I've done ok.

As for the verse, bloody hell, the first two sentences, what the hell was going on there?! I ended up abandoning it after roughly trying to translate the sense, probably got 1-2 marks out of 5 for that first couplet, lol. I found the rest of the passage do-able, though I made some stupid mistakes. As some other poster mentioned above, the change of writer's perspective was super weird!

- Managed to write "gold" for his beard and hair, and then crossed it out and wrote bronze (whoops!) - though it's only a slight error so I'll get either 4 or 5 marks out of 5

- I see the Perseus translations as referencing a palace, but I put homes of the Lapith (probably ok I hope)

- I missed up the "placed her mouth on his" and said "brought her face to his" or something like that, again, no idea if that's creditable

- There were probably some agreement problems with wounds/spears in the final few phrases, but I'm still gonna say I hopefully got a 4 for this

Though, I managed to completely massacre the scansion; I technically got all the feet correct, though the positioning was all wrong as I didn't elide the "-um" in "maritum est" - therefore making the entire last sentence invalid of marks, aghhhhh. So, 2/5 for that, whoopsies.

On this I'd be happy with anything over 35, which would hopefully take my overall total to 75/100, which I'm hoping is an A, and maybe even an A* if the boundaries aren't super strict? There's probably more I've missed here, but it wasn't too awful.

Yeah, I totally missed the elision at the end of line 18 too. I should think homes would be fine, I translated that way too, I would also support the ‘brought her face to his’ but I suppose it depends on the leniency of the exam board. I had originally translated it as the fleeing Etruscans gathering in the narrow confines of the gates, but then changed it to take ‘fugientes’ as an accusative participle.
Reply 15
Original post by BarnabyK
For this one it was "all of the men were quicker than his command" -> you had to pick up the command to "bear the standards" in the first line on the prose (it's a weird passive command that doesn't lend itself to English very well, so I translated it actively) and the fact that they "urged and encouraged the standard bearers to go more quickly" (signifier was the key word here, doubt many candidates got it!) and weren't wanting to stay back as the Etruscans approached

i think i put 'all his men had been quicker to his command' (like they moved before he even said it) - but i dont think it can be all men because omnia celeroria is neuter or feminine isnt it?

i messed up the second scansion because i decided that complexa maritum elided because i read that vowels and m's sometimes elide - i wrote down the scansion that i wrote on my hand though and it does match up to the one above, so maybe ill just lose a mark or two for the wrong position.

the verse was a complete mess tbh. first two lines were awful, then i think i got the beard bit. i wrote absolutely nothing that made sense for the next three lines - i literally didnt know any of the words - then the next four lines i feel i got the general gist of probably with a couple of errors. the rest of it i again got the general gist but a lot of it was grammatically incorrect.

prose was a bit better, i didn't know some of the vocab: i translated 'aggregem' as something: i just put they scaled the rampart and the something lol. i couldnt really make any sense of the last sentence of the first paragraph - the one starting with 'etrusci contra'. i didnt realise contra could mean on the other hand: then i didnt know what the first p word was so just put 'against the etrustcans, who had first called out the fight' or something. i feel like i probably got 3/5 for most lines and then a couple of 4s and 5s which will bump my grade up. hoping for 35 on prose and 25 on verse plus 4/5 marks for scansion which is about 65, which is a solid A in 2019 grade boundaries.

everyone on this chat sounds very very clever at latin which is scaring me lol.
Reply 16
Yeah, I totally missed the elision at the end of line 18 too. I should think homes would be fine, I translated that way too, I would also support the ‘brought her face to his’ but I suppose it depends on the leniency of the exam board. I had originally translated it as the fleeing Etruscans gathering in the narrow confines of the gates, but then changed it to take ‘fugientes’ as an accusative participle.

The scansion was really cheeky! I spent the last 10 minutes trying to do the last line (and used an entire page of the booklet and had to rewrite everything on the next page) and I pity the poor examiner who has to look over it all and find what I didn't cross out..
Reply 17
Original post by pkchan
i think i put 'all his men had been quicker to his command' (like they moved before he even said it) - but i dont think it can be all men because omnia celeroria is neuter or feminine isnt it?

i messed up the second scansion because i decided that complexa maritum elided because i read that vowels and m's sometimes elide - i wrote down the scansion that i wrote on my hand though and it does match up to the one above, so maybe ill just lose a mark or two for the wrong position.

the verse was a complete mess tbh. first two lines were awful, then i think i got the beard bit. i wrote absolutely nothing that made sense for the next three lines - i literally didnt know any of the words - then the next four lines i feel i got the general gist of probably with a couple of errors. the rest of it i again got the general gist but a lot of it was grammatically incorrect.

prose was a bit better, i didn't know some of the vocab: i translated 'aggregem' as something: i just put they scaled the rampart and the something lol. i couldnt really make any sense of the last sentence of the first paragraph - the one starting with 'etrusci contra'. i didnt realise contra could mean on the other hand: then i didnt know what the first p word was so just put 'against the etrustcans, who had first called out the fight' or something. i feel like i probably got 3/5 for most lines and then a couple of 4s and 5s which will bump my grade up. hoping for 35 on prose and 25 on verse plus 4/5 marks for scansion which is about 65, which is a solid A in 2019 grade boundaries.

everyone on this chat sounds very very clever at latin which is scaring me lol.

The omnia + celeriora are both neuter as it doesn't specify who's doing the action, but my teacher said that you're fine to supplement men as you had to with "armatos".

Everyone does worse on the verse so I wouldn't worry too much, so long as you're getting the gist you'll get 3-4 marks per line segment (and you'll be doing better than 50% of candidates anyways..) -> and if you got the elision on the scansion it puts you in a much better position as it took those in my class who got it, that being everyone but me lol, quite a while to figure it out, and one has an offer from Oxford for classics. That's an instant 5 marks.

On the prose I had no idea what "vallum" was as I didn't want to put "some scaled the rampart and the rampart", so I just put barrier lol. I'm really hoping they'll be lenient this year on the boundaries.
Reply 18
Ok a few things to reply to as I am too lazy to do like 5 replies to separate posts:

@BarnabyK I agree that the prose was very nice in comparison with some I've done (it was a blessing not to be faced with lots of random wings of armies performing complicated manoeuvres!) and also thought it was odd that they glossed protinus! As for the narrow gates bit, I translated haedo as 'stuck in' which seemed to work in both translations - if the soldiers got stuck in the narrow gates I thought that would explain why they had to climb the ramparts, although I don't know for sure if it's right. I also messed up contra, translating it as 'The Etruscans, opposite,'. The verse was a bit odd, especially the start. I also translated 'tecta' as houses which I reckon is fine, as Latin Dictionary doesn't gloss 'palace' as a translation for it so seems quite niche. 'Mouth' for 'ora' should be fine, as it can be translated either way. I didn't know the word 'signiferos' but managed to figure it out which felt good, can't lie. Realising I messed up and completely forgot 'hortor' was deponent which will lose me a couple of marks but hopefully it didn't mess up the rest of the sentence too much!

@pkchan I asked my Latin teacher about 'aggerem' and she said it is a synonym for 'vallum'. I put 'fortification and rampart' as I didn't want to repeat 'rampart' (as BarnabyK said).
Reply 19
Also I appreciate it is too late for me to be dropping this recommendation but I absolutely love doing scansion and I got way better at it by practising on https://hexameter.co/home which was a real game-changer. Warning though, if you do pass that tip down to any younger years, warn them that it gets super hard so not to panic if they can't do it at all!

(Although I'm not convinced the scansion I put for the exam was right in the first line as I wasn't sure whether to stress 'lo' or 'quod' in the 4th foot, so I'm by no means a pro!)
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending