The Student Room Group

idk what to do with my life ruined my uni choices

i got an incredibly low offer from my dream uni UCL with an ABB got into a competitive course despite getting 776666655 in GCSE, i was luckily excused coz i went to one of the worst schools in london and on free school meals and i was at the peak of my life in yr 12 getting A*AA minimum and im yr 13 i lost all my friends got picked on/bullied and got depressed burned out and fell down to ACC and i feel like ive wasted my immense luck and potential ugh i feel like ive disappointed my family too because we are extremely low income and im the only child
Reply 1
You haven’t sat your alevels yet right? You still have time to turn things around you’re only one grade off per subject from a c to a b. That is honestly doable. Also I know what it feels like to have immense pressure coming from a low income family but homes with your intelligence and your motivation you will find something that works for you! What subjects are you studying atm?
Reply 2
Hey, try not to stress too much!

@Markf. is completely right that it's def not too late to turn things around! If you are feeling overwhelmed by your subjects firstly I would say look up the spec for each subject and make a list of things to do to revise for each paper. Maybe try asking other people taking them if they have any revision resources they would recommend/can share with you. Look on quizlet or youtube for study sets/videos on your subjects/topics too. Although it seems overwhelming, once you have a sense of the scale of what you need to learn it's not such a huge leap to achieve it!

If you don't know how best to revise a certain subject then asking on the student room is a good way to find out too, and just try not to worry about the exams you've already done and focus on the ones you have left! You can absolutely turn things around if you want to at this point, you've still got loads of time.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by beaquin
Hey, try not to stress too much!

@Markf. is completely right that it's def not too late to turn things around! If you are feeling overwhelmed by your subjects firstly I would say look up the spec for each subject and make a list of things to do to revise for each paper. Maybe try asking other people taking them if they have any revision resources they would recommend/can share with you. Look on quizlet or youtube for study sets/videos on your subjects/topics too. Although it seems overwhelming, once you have a sense of the scale of what you need to learn it's not such a huge leap to achieve it!

If you don't know how best to revise a certain subject then asking on the student room is a good way to find out too, and just try not to worry about the exams you've already done and focus on the ones you have left! You can absolutely turn things around if you want to at this point, you've still got loads of time.

thank you but my history a level is tomorrow and honestly im doomed i think. im thinking about resitting but i don't think ill be able to get in
Reply 4
Have you considered doing a foundation year if you don't get the exact grades I'm sure you'll do better than you feel you will
Best of luck
Reply 5
Original post by euwni
thank you but my history a level is tomorrow and honestly im doomed i think. im thinking about resitting but i don't think ill be able to get in

Of course it's possible that you're doomed, but you might as well try and cram. There is always some hope?
Original post by euwni
i got an incredibly low offer from my dream uni UCL with an ABB got into a competitive course despite getting 776666655 in GCSE, i was luckily excused coz i went to one of the worst schools in london and on free school meals and i was at the peak of my life in yr 12 getting A*AA minimum and im yr 13 i lost all my friends got picked on/bullied and got depressed burned out and fell down to ACC and i feel like ive wasted my immense luck and potential ugh i feel like ive disappointed my family too because we are extremely low income and im the only child

Hi there :smile:

I'm really sorry to hear you are feeling down about your A-Levels. Firstly, it sounds as if you've been going through a lot so try not to be harsh on yourself, I'm sure you have done your best and haven't disappointed anyone. Burnout whilst studying is very common and natural, so try to find some time for yourself to relax and unwind.

Have you tried reaching out for supporting around you? Perhaps wellbeing support at your school, or through your family? I always find this is the best way to deal with problems!

Remember that your A-Levels results and the university you are attending do not define you, and I'm sure you will have a great time wherever you end up! I hope this helps and the best of luck with your exams.
- Dan
Do you have an insurance choice? Is the offer that your insurance made more attainable?

Not getting into your dream university will not ruin your life - it just changes the plan. I didn't get into my dream university. After being rejected on results day I found a course in clearing at another university and the opportunities I had there set me up just as well for a career. I'm now in a graduate job working for a fantastic company that provides career progression opportunities.

If the plan changes it doesn't mean your life is ruined; the next few years will just be a little different to what you imagined.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest