The Student Room Group

Can level 3 in health and social care get you into medical school?

Hello, I recently applied for a level 3 CACHE in health and social care. Would this be useful when I apply to study medicine in university?
Original post by Hali_qu33n
Hello, I recently applied for a level 3 CACHE in health and social care. Would this be useful when I apply to study medicine in university?

No.

Medicine is typically a very competitive course, and the general qualifications they accept are the more academic A Levels or IB. BTECs, Access, etc. don't usually come into the equation. If they do for Access, they usually require the specific courses be from specific colleges, and that's usually vary from one degree course to the next (check the entry requirements prior to enrolling).
The key subjects they would be looking for are biology and chemistry. Health and social care as far as I know does not have this (if it does, then it's not enough).

If you really really want to go into medicine, you might have a chance if you have A Level Biology, Chemistry, and a further A Level in a subject of your choice. However, these need to include practical assessments and you would be looking at A*s/As, and ideally achieved in your first sitting.

On top, you're looking at relevant work experience in medicine amongst a list of other things (e.g. MOOCs) to help supplement your application. Grades alone are not enough.

You might want a second opinion from an undergrad admissions personnel from one of your chosen universities specifically for medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending