The Student Room Group

Is it too late for me?

My secondary only did GCSE English and maths I got a low grade on english a passed maths but I could’ve done better. And now I’m 17 doing GCSEs withdrawal sciences again and I’m going to fail or at most get lower grades than I could.

I just didn’t study due to all consuming obsessions and massive guilt that made it hard to study. I’m worried that I ruined my chances in academics forever and there’s no going back.
Hi,
I'm sorry you feel that way, but you haven't ruined your chances in academics forever, it's never too late to retake your exams and start again. GCSEs and A-levels are a really stressful time, and it's easy to become overwhelmed and feel crushed by the workload. Lots of people go back and do it again later on.
Also, academia isn't the be all and end all, and definitely isn't the only path in life. There are lots of alternatives that may suit you better. You could also look into doing a foundation year or apprenticeship, which will be less focused on traditional assessments and essays. You don't have to force yourself into academia at the cost of your mental well-being and enjoyment, there are many other options that are equally useful and credited.

Have you spoken to your school counsellor or personal tutor about struggling with the workload? This isn't something you should have to face alone.

Let us know if you have any other concerns or questions,

Safi
BA English

Quick Reply

Latest