The Student Room Group

Medical School Exams

Are there any medical students/doctors out there who can offer some advice?

I'm a second year at a UK medical school and exam season is about to start. I've been working steadily throughout the year, but I have suddenly become incredibly anxious about exams. I don't seem to be able to gauge the difficulty level as to which questions I should be doing on question banks.

I'm also just generally struggling with the anxiety and stress levels at the moment. Last year I wasn't as bothered by it, but this year its overwhelming.

Can anyone offer any ideas/advice for revision resources etc.
anyone feel like they kinda want to wing their entrance exams, but the you realise these exams dictate your life.

pls read this in an australian accent
Original post by anonymous0011

I'm a second year at a UK medical school and exam season is about to start. I've been working steadily throughout the year, but I have suddenly become incredibly anxious about exams. I don't seem to be able to gauge the difficulty level as to which questions I should be doing on question banks.

I'm also just generally struggling with the anxiety and stress levels at the moment. Last year I wasn't as bothered by it, but this year its overwhelming.

Hi there! I'm one of the third year MBBS students from UCLan.

Feeling nervous for exams is a completely normal thing and it happens to us all! With question banks, it would aim to look at the pre-clinical questions as these are more applicable to pre-clinical exams!
At our medical school, we weren't examined on anything outside what we had been taught in lecutres.
It's also super important to stay healthy during exam season! Eating well, getting enough sleep and finding ways to de-stress and wind down are really important!

Let me know if you have any other questions !

Rebecca
Hi, I've moved your thread to the current medical students and doctors forum - hopefully you will get some more replies here :smile:
Original post by anonymous0011

Hey!

Sorry for the late response.

Medical School Exams will be based on what has been taught to you during the semester. Because of this a good place to start revising is the lecture slides and learning objectives that accompany them.

Creating Anki cards around the slides is what I did to revise in conjunction with speaking to my peers and working through topics together. You'll find that naturally there will be topics that come up all the time and some which you would expect to come up less eg. nervous system of upper limb would be brachial plexus --> erbs palsy(more likely to come up) --> klumpkeys palsy(less likely)

Hope this helps:biggrin:
I've got a list of all our learning outcomes. For the ones where I'm least confident, I rewatch the lecture at 1.5 speed to refresh my memory and make sure I understand the depth and extent of knowledge we're expected to have. For the others I revisit the lecture slides to make sure I know how detailed to be, and then I use a variety of resources depending on the topic - Complete Anatomy, Sectra, Osmosis, textbooks, etc. I'm not the biggest flashcard fan but I've made a deck for each case on Brainscape and I add to these with each revision session, focusing mainly on the cases I find most challenging and could do with looking at in my spare moments on the bus. At the end of the day I teach my long-suffering partner what I've been revising. That does help to stick it in my head, especially if he has questions. :smile:

You might be feeling extra anxious because this is the end of preclinical years. I have no real suggestions on how to deal with that, but I find it helps me simply to bear it in mind. At one time I doubted I could do medicine at all, and I was wrong, so any anxieties about next year are probably equally ill-founded! Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending