The Student Room Group

Can I do 5 A levels?

Hello, I am a resit student who is currently doing 4 AS levels. I want to apply for medicine. I am doing Biology, English Language, Chemistry, Physics. I am doing an International Spec which allows me to not be set as a resit student as my previous year I was OCR but now that I've become CIE I've been given a second chance. My Physics isn't doing that well but I believe I will do well in it.

I want to potentially drop physics and do a EPQ and Computer Science as an AS level and A level. If possible can I add them to my UCAS application if I apply to do the exam in October/November? I can do internal exams and potentially get a predicted grade out of that. So would it be possible?
Did you get official results from OCR for your AS levels?

All awarded grades from exam boards must be declared on your UCAS application. If you sat OCR exams and got grades then those MUST be listed on UCAS.
Original post by asddsaasdadsads
Hello, I am a resit student who is currently doing 4 AS levels. I want to apply for medicine. I am doing Biology, English Language, Chemistry, Physics. I am doing an International Spec which allows me to not be set as a resit student as my previous year I was OCR but now that I've become CIE I've been given a second chance. My Physics isn't doing that well but I believe I will do well in it.

I want to potentially drop physics and do a EPQ and Computer Science as an AS level and A level. If possible can I add them to my UCAS application if I apply to do the exam in October/November? I can do internal exams and potentially get a predicted grade out of that. So would it be possible?

Hey,
Many medical schools do not value students taking additional subjects, most would prefer that you did less subjects but performed better at them. There are some medical schools (including Sheffield) that will lower the grades needed if you were to achieve a high grade in your EPQ, so I would say that is a good option to do. If you are enjoying doing more subjects, please carry on! But it may be worth thinking whether by doing more you are less likely to achieve the grade requirements you need (for medicine at almost all Unis it is based on grades rather than overall UMS points).
Good luck with you studies, and feel free to message if you have any questions!
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
do 3, my guy, no reason to do any more
Reply 4
Original post by asddsaasdadsads

Heya!
Medical schools are quite competitive and just require 3 alvls + they will most likely count only full alvls, so try sticking with 3 and do very well on them and if you want to do EPQ then sure :h: If you want to do CS, there are plenty of resources online which you can do for free e.g. freecodecamp. If it helps, Study Mind has plenty of free resources for you to use!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest