The Student Room Group

Will working in a charity shop look good for applying for a Psychology degree?

I've been working in a charity shop for some time now and I want to apply for a psychology degree at university. Will this look good on my personal statement and will unis value it? Or will it just be seen as useless.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by LoafOfBread05
I've been working in a charity shop for some time now and I want to apply for a psychology degree at university. Will this look good on my personal statement and will unis value it? Or will it just be seen as useless.

Thanks

Hi! I sent off my personal statement last year, and I have learnt that NOTHING you do is useless, as long as you can relate it back to the degree. For example, I volunteered at a community centre for a couple months, and did bare minimum but managed to link it to developing my communication skills, which is needed when working with other hospital staff for my degree choice (midwifery). As long as you can link everything to a skill/competency needed for your degree, you'll be fine.

Best of Luck!
Reply 2
Original post by lilalzz
Hi! I sent off my personal statement last year, and I have learnt that NOTHING you do is useless, as long as you can relate it back to the degree. For example, I volunteered at a community centre for a couple months, and did bare minimum but managed to link it to developing my communication skills, which is needed when working with other hospital staff for my degree choice (midwifery). As long as you can link everything to a skill/competency needed for your degree, you'll be fine.

Best of Luck!

Thank you so much for this reply! It's really assured me about everything!

I plan to relate my job at the Charity Shop demonstrating my patience toward customers , comprehension skills (Listening, communicating, understanding), and problem solving skills. Would this be good?
Reply 3
Original post by LoafOfBread05
Thank you so much for this reply! It's really assured me about everything!

I plan to relate my job at the Charity Shop demonstrating my patience toward customers , comprehension skills (Listening, communicating, understanding), and problem solving skills. Would this be good?

Yes! As long as you can relate those competencies to why they would be good to have as someone who will be doing psychology as a degree and taking it further, everything will be fine. Since psychology is so broad, you can link it to listening skills needed when repsonding to patients needs, communicating to other researchers/doctors if you're doing clinical psychology etc. Just think outside the box essentially : )

I did that for mine and managed to get 5 interviews. If you're putting the effort and research into writing your personal statement as well as following your teacher's advice, itll be okay : )

Best wishes : )
Reply 4
Original post by lilalzz
Yes! As long as you can relate those competencies to why they would be good to have as someone who will be doing psychology as a degree and taking it further, everything will be fine. Since psychology is so broad, you can link it to listening skills needed when repsonding to patients needs, communicating to other researchers/doctors if you're doing clinical psychology etc. Just think outside the box essentially : )

I did that for mine and managed to get 5 interviews. If you're putting the effort and research into writing your personal statement as well as following your teacher's advice, itll be okay : )

Best wishes : )

Thank youuuuu :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending